Saving The Gallatin Valley Goat Duo

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I completely understand! No worries. Just trying to come up with some new ideas. Again, I would take them if I were closer but sadly I’m in TX so it is impossible. Good luck with them!

2. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 Active Member

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Thanks, @Boers4ever

3. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Okay, I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier.

My grandma and grandpa by Flathead Lake want horses, but don't think they could handle a larger animal and were considering goats. They use their animals as pets only, and maybe they'd like the GVGD?

I'll ask them tonight and post what they say.

MellonFriend and toth boer goats like this.
  4. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    What did your Grandma and Grandpa say?

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 likes this.
  5. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I forgot to reply about that!

They would love to keep them. Unfortunately, they can't for awhile. It's actually kinda dangerous for goats there right now. they are cleaning their pastures and have all sorts of machinery coming in.

Their pastures are really old and have all sorts of crap in there. they actually removed 21 (if I remember right) tons of glass bottles alone.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

7. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    I'll say. And that was just glass. That's not counting tin cans, paper, everything out of my dumpster, and the remains of an 1800's settler house!

MellonFriend likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow, hopefully there is not a lot of broken or sharp things in there.

MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13 likes this.
  9. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    They've got a lot of people helping out, plus they don't have any animals in that pasture.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
  11. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
  12. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Okay, now consider it done

21goaties likes this.
  13. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    So, Lawson Heart and Pigs Peace haven't emailed me back. I don't know if they've texted or called (I lost my phone, but I think I know where it is and will look for it tonight).

The owner of the GVGD is moving in March or April. My grandparents from Oregon are moving in. I'm gonna see if they'd want to keep them there, as they'd take better care of them, and my grandma would fall in love with them.

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    Okay, it was a no for my grandma and grandpa (they might not even move down here and they once had a HORRIBLE pair of goats who ruined him from goats). But our friend who keeps her horses in our back barn sounds like she wants them as barn "goatdogs" like my goats.

So, how do I help her train 2 goats who have lived their lives in tiny pens their whole lives to free roam around our property?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  15. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    First step would be allowing them the time to get used too, familiar with, and at ease with their new surroundings. Second step would be to earn both of their trust and that would take an undetermined amount of time. Third step would be encouraging them to follow/tag along with you inside an enclosed area.

It will take time, patience, trust and gentleness.

16. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    They're really nice goats, I doubt it would take long. Plus, their current owner rents a house from my dad. It's in the back of our property. She and the GVGD live there. The barn their very-possible-future-owner would be keeping them in is also a building rented from my dad. It is on the same property and all. So without the stress of a long move, I bet that it'd only take a couple days for them to adjust.

Also, before I forget to post on here, my goats Jimmy and Snickerdoodle wander over to that barn a lot for treats, pets, and to say hi to the big horses (and the 2 mini horses). Tyler is about twice their size (so might get kind of pissy with them), but lives with his little goat (so might be gentle with them). What do you guys think will happen, and what all should we do when they meet?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  17. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    When goats are frightened, unsure or think it's feed time, etc.; their natural instinct is to hurry home. For them, home is that little dog kennel. Their past "home" being close by could be problematic and that is why giving them plenty of time to adjust was mentioned.

I would be weary of any goat interacting with other goats without at least fencing separating them for a good while. This choice wouldn't be entirely having to do with personalities, and every thing to do with a clean bill of health. Quarantine periods are important when introducing new goats to other goats. The GVG pair will need a fecal for worms (any necessary treatments), parasite check (treatment if necessary), a check up for any signs of an illness (fever, runny eyes and nose, coughing, swollen joints, an abscess, etc.) and treatment if necessary.

18. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    :up:

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  19. MyGoatsAreWeirdDogs13

Jan 14, 2021
    Southwestern Montana
    How often does that need to be done?

Just asking because I didn't know a lot of this and my goats might be due.

Iluvlilly! likes this.