Saying goodbye to kids and milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by MtnRidgeFarm, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MtnRidgeFarm

MtnRidgeFarm Active Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    This year was our first kidding and everything went great. Babies were super healthy and mamas did awesome! The time has now come to get rid of our dam raised baby boys. So my question is this: How do I handle milking once the babies are gone?
    The boys were being separated at night and I was milking in the morning. But they were also nursing off and on during the day (along with eating hay and drinking water). Can I just go to milking in the morning and evening? Will my doe be totally engorged the whole day (from the morning milking on) since no one is nursing? I want her to be comfortable and not risk any mastitis.
    Thanks!

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    It really depends on the doe and how much she produces, along with how much you continue to feed her. If you go to a 2x a day milking, that should cause no problems, just remember to sterilize her teats and use santiary methods.

catharina and MtnRidgeFarm like this.

3. MtnRidgeFarm

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    She, at morning milkings, is giving about 5lbs. She is getting her "normal" feed... grass hay & alfalfa hay 50/50, grain at both morning and night, plus chaffhaye.

4. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would think she would be fine. It's also hard to tell how much the kids are getting - you will just have to wait and see. If she's kicked them off for the most part, you may only have to do a morning milking. You will know the first day!

5. MtnRidgeFarm

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    Oh no. Unfortunately, she's allowed them to nurse quite a bit.o_O
    So if the boys are gone and I milk in the morning and then just wait till the evening milking to milk her again, that's o.k.? Even if she gets huge?

6. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    You could milk her just a little when you see her udder looking tight & shiny, to make her comfortable while she makes the transition. If you keep it to a minimum her body will adjust to twice a day milking sooner. It's so nice of you to be concerned for her comfort & well being.

MtnRidgeFarm likes this.
  7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    How long are you separating the kids at night?

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You want milk, right? Most people can just milk twice a day. If your girl is one heck of a milker, you may want to do 3 times per day but I think there are very few who actually need to do that. She will adjust to being milked twice a day.

9. MtnRidgeFarm

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California
    They go for about 12 hours. 8pm till 8am, give or take.

10. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    She should be just fine. If you don't want as much milk, you can decrease her ration.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  11. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    All good advice. I have never heard of anyone having to milk 3 times a day. Dairy farmers milk twice a day be it cows or goats. If you think she is too full you can remove some milk but that is not going to help her cut back on her production by doing so. She should be fine milking just 2 times a day and as stated you can cut back on some of the feed or maybe cut back a little on all of it. By milking her 12 hours apart she should not get stressed. Good luck

MtnRidgeFarm and groovyoldlady like this.
  12. MtnRidgeFarm

Dec 6, 2017
    Northern California