The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
This is why I could never do market goats... I breed dairy goats... Wethers go to pet homes, usually with kids, and bucks/does go to breeding/showing homes. I have a hard time letting those guys go, too. :(

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Awe Im sorry, that is hard...try not to dwell about them going to be butcherd...think instead of them moving on to make room for you to raise next seasons winners...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i know you make good money on them my suggestion is take that money and switch to dairy goats!! thats why i never did meat goats, or market lambs, or market steers. i'm 60 years old and still couldn't do it.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
dairy dont usually sell for food :D so even if you have to sell them at least you know they are going to homes. Dairy is a whole different world...you are looking for conformation of course but also udder, teats..milk production ect...we dont do shows so I can be sure all they require...but feeding is different..you are not trying to bulk them up...there are several breeds to choose from, Nubian, Saanen, Lamancha, Alpine, Oberhasli, Toggs and Nigerian...then you have the mini breed of these lol

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well, they are smaller weight wise than boers. my grandchildren started out with nigerians which they both still have but now have alpines and nubians. you probably would like a nubian because they look the most like boers. you can get enough milk from one nubian for a family of at least 3 or 4. you would have to learn to milk but that should be fairly easy on a nubian. showing them is pretty much the same, so you wont have to learn that over. if i were you i would buy a bred doe this fall that is due to kid in march. then you will have a doe in milk for the fair and if she has a doe then you could show her as well. you could show a wether as a pack goat. so the answer to your question is yes they are. good luck

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Aw... don't be too sad. They are only serving their purpose in life. Market goats are supposed to go off and be the best meat choice option there is. Remember that you worked very hard for that exact reason: to keep them in great condition; and now you know just how nice they turned out! Show them hard, have fun, and don't forget to kiss them goodbye. You will have memories of your fair-goat-experiences that will last you a lifetime.

I would say that there is a huge dividing line between in market and dairy projects. It is as if they are two different show animals! Definitely takes different types of people to enjoy each. You might want to at least try to get into dairy goats if you can't do market goats. See which one is for you.

Good luck at your fair! :D

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
As much as I like the meat goat breeds, I just LOOOVE dairy goats!! :D They are fun, showing them is fun, and they come in so many different colors and shapes and sizes.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
It is sad and pulls at the heart strings. :(

One thing about Dairy goats, you have to milk every day, if you want to keep them in milk. Feeding quite a bit of grain.
Drying them off can be a trick as well in some, that is why I don't do dairy.

I have FB boer goats and sell mostly as show and breeding animals. That way, I don't have to deal a lot with the butcher prospect with most of them.
Sometimes, you have meat goats to sell too, I send them off with a local meat buyer. I do feel bad, having to do so, but, if they are not good, we have to let them go. :(

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
As much as I like the meat goat breeds, I just LOOOVE dairy goats!! :D They are fun, showing them is fun, and they come in so many different colors and shapes and sizes.
I guess we see the goats differently! I always have the time of my life when showing market goats, but I have never shown a dairy goat before. And also, I do like the simplicity of the Boer breed. I can say "Aw, that one has a cute blaze; this one has a star; look at the spot on this one!" But it doesn't take away from conformation ;) But I still do love my dairy goats!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just keep next year in your mind and look forward to getting new babies! It is very difficult to say goodbye, but know that you gave them the best life you could while you could! hugs!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I guess we see the goats differently! I always have the time of my life when showing market goats, but I have never shown a dairy goat before. And also, I do like the simplicity of the Boer breed. I can say "Aw, that one has a cute blaze; this one has a star; look at the spot on this one!" But it doesn't take away from conformation ;) But I still do love my dairy goats!
I DO like boer goats, but there's something about the dairy goats I like even more :p Plus, they are so personable, sending one out to get butchered would break my heart. If I ever do a market animal, it would be a pig (because they scream and I would be happy for it to leave. lol or a sheep, since they are so shy.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Have strength! Good luck departing, and may you meet one day again in heaven. ;)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I harvest many of my wethers, and use the meat. It is VERY sad. But your boys have a much better life than many goats had, and they will NEVER know abuse or neglect. Their future is being protected this way. That is why we harvest ... because I will only sell my wethers to pet homes that will really love them and won't grow bored of them. Those homes can be far and few between. :hug: I do cry, and there's no shame to that. You are mourning the loss of a friend. But soon you will remember the good times, think of how happy you made them! :)

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
This is why we got into dairy. My daughter wants to show goats but will not keep any animal that she later has to kill or let someone kill. She won't even eat chicken on the bone. When she was very little she was so upset that animals were meat that I had to tell her only the wild ones were meat and no one ate the pets. I still thought she was going to become a vegetarian she wouldn't eat meat for weeks.
I want to raise and butcher a hog and I would like to raise and butcher a turkey and a goose but she freaks out thinking about it.
I grew up harvesting animals we raised for our own food but she hasn't and she can't stand the thought, she tells me now, "I don't care anymore that some have to go to meat, I understand that, but I don't want it to be one I have met and raised as a pet." I guess I kinda get her point.
Good luck, it is a hard thing to do. You loved them and kept them safe, healthy and happy while they were here and that is a whole lot more than a lot of animals can say. You did right by them. Focus on the need that they fill. Focus on the good memories and future plans.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
this is why we got into dairy. My daughter wants to show goats but will not keep any animal that she later has to kill or let someone kill. She won't even eat chicken on the bone. When she was very little she was so upset that animals were meat that i had to tell her only the wild ones were meat and no one ate the pets. I still thought she was going to become a vegetarian she wouldn't eat meat for weeks.
I want to raise and butcher a hog and i would like to raise and butcher a turkey and a goose but she freaks out thinking about it.
I grew up harvesting animals we raised for our own food but she hasn't and she can't stand the thought, she tells me now, "i don't care anymore that some have to go to meat, i understand that, but i don't want it to be one i have met and raised as a pet." i guess i kinda get her point.
Good luck, it is a hard thing to do. You loved them and kept them safe, healthy and happy while they were here and that is a whole lot more than a lot of animals can say. You did right by them. Focus on the need that they fill. Focus on the good memories and future plans.
i have the same feeling as your daughter, what's for dinner tonight? Fred roast

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
We raised cows growing up. We made pets out of one. ONCE. Then we ate him....we realized that making pets out of our food wasn't so great. That didn't stop me from eating meat. I am a vegetarian now because it makes me feel better physically. But, it's totally unrelated.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If you choose to eat meat, I think it's great if you can raise your own because then you know the animal had a great life and gave it so that you can be raised healthy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts