The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two of my goats seem like they are trying to get away from thir kids at times when the try to nurse its not time to wean them but when they go to nurse the moms pull away or kick them off I checkd one and her teats are really scabby and rough I feel sry for her but I don't know what to do what can I put on them that wont hurt the lil ones. is this normal? should I keep the lil ones off them some times so they get a break? really would like some help

·
8,105 Posts
My ff doe was all torn up from kid teeth, so I bought some stuff at the Walmart for human mom's that breast feed. It is a lanolin based ointment that won't
hurt the human kid when it nurses, so I figured, it wouldn't hurt the goat kid. It looks like Vaseline, but has no taste,
absorbs pretty quickly and helped heal up some really sore teats from 2 overly enthusiastic Alpine buck kids.
(I can't think of the name, but it is in the baby dept.).

I used the bag balm, too, but I don't know if that is good to eat for the kids. (they didn't care, they are a month old and holy terrors.).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks is constant nursing normal for kids I have one that is almost constantly nursing or trying to and I kno its got to be driving the doe nuts bc she runs from him sometimes

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Kids do nurse frequently for the first couple weeks, but if he's trying constantly then he probably isn't getting enough to eat. If he's really hungry you might have to hold the mom and let him eat his fill.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was worried he wasn't getting enough so I caught him and he has a pulp lil belly he yelled my ear off but I know hes getting enough . mybe its bc hes the runt out of the two???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts