Scabby, rough skin?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ArizonaGirl, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ArizonaGirl

ArizonaGirl New Member

We've got a yearling doe, Sera, who hasn't been completely well since she kidded, about five months ago. Not too long ago, her coat got really rough and thin and she got really skinny.
    We discovered that she was infested with lice, so we quickly took care of it and she no longer has any... but she still keeps getting scabs and sores on her skin and udder.
    We've given her pro-vitamins, extra grain, minerals and put DE on her coat, but the sores dont' seem to be going away. She has gained a bit of weight, but when you pet her, you can feel the sores under her hair... Does anyone have suggestions?? We're hoping to bring her to the State Fair next month, if she's well in time.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey has used Aloe Vera juice with success....I think she said you can get it at Walmart.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    tea tree oil might help. Or a soothing oatmeal bath :wink: (i dont know, but i hear it helps dry skin) Otherwise i would think mineral def. but you are feeding minerals; what brand?

Aloe vera juice!! i hear that works good, and its cheaper than tea tree oil

4. ArizonaGirl

ArizonaGirl New Member

Cool, thanks! We'll try that :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can syringe feed her like 6ccs of aloe vera juice (mine like the berry flavor which I got at walmart - it was with the fiber drink mixes near the pharmacy) I also add some to their water on an as needed basis.

If you arent feeding BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) I would add that to her diet too. BOSS is great for their over all skin and coat condition

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Is she scratching a lot? It does sound like the gnat bites that one of my horses gets- the other one does not get them. Do you have lots of bugs?

7. ArizonaGirl

ArizonaGirl New Member

She scratches some- I hadn't thought about that! Yes, we've got plenty of bugs, especially gnats.

Thanks for the info! We'll try these ideas- Between all these possible solutions, I bet we can get her feeling great and show-ready in time ^_^ It'll be a relief to see her completely healthy again :) I'll let y'all know what happens.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good luck ..............ArizonaGirl............. hope you can make the show in time,,,,,,, :sun: :pray:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My doe Raven had exactly what you described after she kidded, I didn't notice the dry scabby skin until after I shaved her though, a ober buck that I bought had skin like that too. I started giving Raven(and Ecudo) a herbal wormer from a breeder that I bought a buck off of(her website is http://www.firmeadow.com) and after I started to give it to Raven she shed probably 4 layers of dry flaky skin, she was almost bald for about a month, then she started to eat again(esp her minerals) and her hair started to grow back slick, soft and black where before it was rusty colored and very coarse. She is putting on weight now finally too. Ecudo's skin is still a little bit scabby but not as bad as when he came. The breeder told me that her wormer is a little bit of a liver cleanse as well as a wormer, which I figured that's why it worked so well.

10. ArizonaGirl

ArizonaGirl New Member

Sounds good! If we gave her that wormer now, would she be in show condition by October 14th? Need to know who to plan to bring to the State Fair next month. ^_^ If not, we'll probably try to see if the other possible treatments work first :) Thanks!

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Idk, you could try. Raven was in a pretty serious condition when I started her on the wormer, it took me three almost four months to get her back where she belonged. I would try the herbal wormer on your doe and just see if it would help her any in time.

12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good call Susanne!
    There are some types of mange that dont respond to natural remedies. Be sure if it is mange, to treat again in 21 days. When I get to a place of things not improving I call the vet.
    There is also a possiblity of not enough copper in her diet.You did you say she gets minerals. What is the copper content? They need up to around 1800ppm with uh oh I forgot what other that has to do with the absorbtion.
    I have heard that rust colored patches on a normally black goat indicates copper defientcy.

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Gee Im gonna have to pay more attention to the dates these were posted!!
    Did you get to go to the fair? How is she doing did you find out exactly what it was? How did you treat it?

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    why is that? she only posted this yesterday :shrug:

16. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :hair: I must have read the join date & got it all twisted up!!LOL

17. ArizonaGirl

ArizonaGirl New Member

Thanks for your help! Turns out she wasn't getting the minerals she needed, so we got them to her, and now she's doing great! We brought her to the fair, and she got 1st place in her class. She was a single entry, but the judge really liked her, her udder especially. She didn't get Grand because she wasn't as mature as the older does... maybe next year :)
    If you want to see pictures of her, you can go here: 'http://www.ishoothorses.com/gallery.php?gallery_id=654' and you can scroll down a bit... She's the yearling doe who is mostly white, being shown by an 11 year old, Chris. The first picture of her is #1971.

Thank again! I'm really happy we were able to get her healthy (finally!) and that she could go to the show, on top of it all :stars:

18. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sweet and great job!!! :leap: