Scabby spots on doe pics added

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Oct 20, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bailey has these crusty spots around her udder area and down the area under her tail, I found one on her chest too. I do know that with copper deficiencies that staph infections can arise BUT no one else has these. She gave me a scare last night about an hour after I smeared triple antibiotic around her hind end where the scabs are, she layed and cried like she was in pain, I hurriedly washed her with warm water and antibacterial soap, dried her well and she was ok. Eating, Browsing, temp is 102 and her rumen is moving......she just seems off, She is exactly 20 days bred today and being a FF....I am just wondering that since she was supposed to come into heat yesterday, her "off" behavior is because of the fact shes preggy?

Any idea as to what these scabs are or how to treat them without causing harm to the pregnancy?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Scabby spots on doe

Do you have any pictures?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Can get some tomorrow, I was going to shave the area to better see them...she has an extremely thick winter coat. I can feel them easier than seeing them.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

when I first got Lola she was crusty and scaby all over her udder and chest but it went away in the spring.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres the pics I was able to get...I didn't want to make them smaller as it's already hard to see the scabby spots. They aren't pustules, but crusty spots that seem to itch her.

[​IMG]

These spots are from the bottom of the hairless area under her tail to the area around her teats, she also has a larger one on her chest.

They start out as a reddish crusty area then turn to the whitish crust. She is the only one who has these too.

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Could be a staph infection as that forms red pustules and a custard color crust. A second guess could be some form of mites. I would not use any antibacterial that contains a petroleum base as it holds the infection in. I would clean with witch hazel and use a combination of tea tree oil and pyrethiums sp? powder.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mites would affect the others, so I'm more inclined to think the Staph is more likely. An antibiotic would work, right? The only injectible I've ever used has been penicillan.....I am not big on giving injections other than the CD/T, more paranoid of anylphlatic reactions than anything. Also, she hasn't come into heat so she is just 3 weeks preggy, I would like to use something that is safe for early pregnancy.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It looks like the bacteria infection that i had run through my herd several years ago. I put iodine on the scabs everyday and they started going away. Never had anything sinse.
    beth

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks Beth, will try the iodine on her first :thumbup:

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That looks like something one of my does had in August. She only had 1 spot above her udder about the size of a half dollar. I put triple antibiotic on it and it healed just fine. It's puzzled the heck out of me as to what it could be :shrug:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sounds like something similar to my problem Beila, I had a doe get about a fifty cent piece sized circle on her udder, was ablt to clear it up with the iodine. Then other does started getting it in different places. The iodine worked well.
    And i have never seen it again.
    beth

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    These spots are very itchy to her....I was scratching her and the spot on her chest was crumbling away, I will get the iodine on her as soon as I can a bit later.

The spots she has are clustered, the biggest area of clusters is the size of my pinky tip.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The iodine hasn't seemed to bother her the way the salve did, she's being as normal as any hay munching goat can get :greengrin:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bailey has been an awesome little girl and has been great getting on the stand the last few days while I rub the iodine on her, she stands and chews her cud then when she's all done she goes off with the others. The iodine seems to be bringing her relief from the itching.

15. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Iodine is good but I like tea tree oil or cedar wood oil as it stays active longer and also helps with the crusty skin. I would wash her area with some anti bacterial cleanser like betadine or witch hazel. They will not burn her and she will like all the attention. Good luck