The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Does kidded early March. She is still letting the kids nurse but I also often see them fight for a teat. I know they are getting plenty of milk and are thriving and growing.
I'm worried that they are the cause of the scabbing at the base of her teats...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20190418_171414.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20190418_170850.jpg

Any advice for what to do about this? Was it the kids being rough on her teats? Or something else?

If I need to wean the kids sooner, that's not a problem but I'm not sure when is a good time.

Any advice is welcomed.

Edit: autocorrect on the phone changed the tittle "teat" to tear.... Ugh :(

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
Ohhh not good, that's turning into staph A. You need to like, right this second, go spray that with chlorahexidine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh not good, that's turning into staph A. You need to like, right this second, go spray that with chlorahexidine.
Forgive me, I'm not sure what that is. Can I get it at a store like Tractor supply? Do I need to keep the kids off her?

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
What antiseptics do you have right now animal and human both?
Let's worry about the kids after working to figure out how to stop this infection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't touch your face afterward, until you can wash your hands.
Okay, not a problem I'll go do this now. Both her kids share the stall with her, I'm sure they will be sleeping but do I worry about them nursing from her? And will the iodine be toxic to them?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a board on here that explains what Staph is? And what causes it? I'd like to know to help prevent this in the future if I can. Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried doing some research, I'm going to clean her stall tomorrow and once everything is dry and clean I think I'll keep her there and apply more iodine until it seems to be going away.

Right now the scab is dry, and it doesn't seem to be puss-y or severe yet, but I'm hoping to help get rid of this. I will examine my other two does tomorrow morning, but looking earlier they seemed fine.

I should note that it has been raining here almost daily so far. Dry season is approaching but in the meantime I think I'll keep her in the barn.

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
On here for you by tomorrow. This doesn't get pus, the purple discoloration grows and starts to turn black. At that point it begins to kill the udder. Caught early you can sometimes stop it. If it seems overkill for a couple little purple spots, I'm sorry but, by the time we would know for such it would be to late to stop it.

Look up gangrenous mastitis.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I'd get the chlorhexidine ASAP. You can buy Hibiclens at the grocery store or pharmacy. This is serious and at minimum she could lose her udder in days. Many goats die. I want to scare you to understand that that just doing the iodine isn't enough. You need chlorhexidine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would it maybe be better to bring her to the vet? This morning she had a fresh wound underneath the scab.. I'm worried the kids are irritating it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Considering it's a holiday weekend, how soon could a vet see her? Time is precious and critical for being successful with treatment for this problem. Have you researched gangrenous mastitis or purchased the Hibiclens / chlorhexidine yet?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts