scabs PICTURES ADDED PG. 2

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, May 23, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi,
    I noticed my buck has large scabes at the bottom of his testes. what should i do about it? --i gave him a bath and they didnt clear up. thanks.

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Re: scabs

Did you put anything on them? Any antibiotic cream should work. Shelly

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

My bucks get that sometimes, I've found it can be caused by copper deficiency. Usually if I change the minerals it clears up, you can also spray apple cider vinegar on them.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

okay, i feed him baking soda, thats the only mineral he gets. and there's really nothing up here i could get, unless i shipped it in. so i will try neosporin / apple cider vinegar.

Also that same buck, (boer) has patched of missing hair and chewed up ears. when i touch his ears he pulls them away, as if hes hurt or afraid. do you think its the same mineral idea? thank you.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

The chews up ears, is the hair missing around the edges? If it is that could be mild frostbite that he could have gotten. As to the missing patch of hair, yes I believe that would be mineral related. Minerals are SO important in a goats diet, if they are mineral deficient they will have a lot more troubles with health related issues. If you can keep your goats properly mineralized, you can usually keep your goats healthy.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

beside hay,i feed a 16% rolled oats, barley mixture, and top dress Calf manna (1/2 cup). and baking soda sprinkled (just a pinch) on top. is this enough or should i be giving him more? - i think your right about the frostbite it gets cold up here it can reach -40 in january. thanks

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

If you have a way that you can order minerals and bring them up there that would probably be the best. Maybe talk with other goat breeders in the area and see if you could split the cost and truck a ton of minerals up. Sweetlix Meat Maker is the best, although I've had good luck with a company out of WI called Crystal Creek.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

okay, thanks!

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

how lond with it take for the ointment and ACV to clear things up? -i've been doing it for three days, and they look worse.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

It may be irritating them. Stop the ACV and see what happens.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

neither the ACV or polysporin are helping any, i gave him selenium e gel too, could it be a zinc problem? - i could treat with zinc sulfate?

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Zinc could be a possibility, you could put a zinc cream on the scabs and see if that does anything. If you know where you can get copper(unless he is ok on copper) copper supplementing wouldn't hurt him either.

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

i wouldnt know where to get copper or zinc, but i did try some tea tree oil, i'l see how that goes. thanks

14. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Ok, I'm going to try to give you a link to a site about copper dosing. http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/index.html she has a lot of information on the site. Now, I haven't actually tried the copper dosing, but someone suggested this site a while back which is how I got to the site. Good luck.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

He has to have minerals. That is a big part of his problem. If you go to your feed store(s) and ask if they will order it in. I agree Sweetlix is the best. My store will order in as many bags as I want. If i only want one that is what they order. Also they do make a Sweet lix mineral block. I have used them also.

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

ok thanks

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

okay!! :leap: I got the sweetlix! (meat Maker) i'm going to put it directly on his feed. how much should i put on? --also Sweetlix is safe for pregnant does as well? thanks!! -The tea tree oil dried the scabs nicely.

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Minerals should just be fed free choice, the goats will decide how much they need :) And yes it is safe for pregnant does, they are the ones that need the most minerals actually.

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I am glad you got some. Yep I leave mine out in mineral feeders that I made and they eat it when they need it.

Also, don't you just love Tea Tree oil? It is wonderful stuff. I use a LOT of natural things like that.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

getting off topic but,, fias co farms, they have a prengnat doe herbal tonic, what's in that/how does it work?