The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday noticed scabs on my nanny's tail and hind side (hip) and her temp is 105. I gave her a shot of penicilin, I cleaned both areas with peroxide and i put triple antibiotic cream on them.

We've already had orf (soremouth) at the farm this spring and I thought everyone already had it. Could this be a repeat? Do they run a fever with orf?
Can this be another type of skin infection? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
It may be possible that you have 2 things going on. Usually once they get soremouth they build an immunity to that type. Did they go to fair or something?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
could be staph ?? try iodine solution, maybe it will help dry it up..peroxide may keep it too fresh to heal...but staph would not cause fever..105 is quite high...she may also have pneumonia. Tylan 200 would be a better OTC choice for this and Banamine will help reduce her fever and give her some relief from discomfort...Keeping her hydrated is important. Best wishes, hope she feels better soon

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So here we are, 5 years later and this has become a yearly thing with this particular doe. Every Fall around Sept or Oct she gets these thick, dark scabs on her teats and also on the back of the legs between the dewclaw and the hoof. I have tried various treatments for infections, for vitamin deficiencies, immune system, for mites, etc. It usually clears up within a few weeks but then next Fall they appear again. And she is the only one who has this, although one of her sons had it one year.

So, do you guys think it's an immune system thing or some sort of deficiency? Then why isn't it year-around? or maybe in the spring when the weather is similar (cool, damp)? Could it have anything to do with her mating season? Could it be staph or impetigo? But why does it only flare up in the Fall and why is she the only one who gets it?

Any thoughts?

·
14,760 Posts
Wow that is strange for sure. No idea what it could be. Does it go away on it's own, or do your treatments work? Any change in their bedding?

I will say... mites start to become an issue this time of year. We use hay bedding, and recently got a round bale that must have had mites in it because we are treating some of our young goats for them.
Try cleaning the sores, drying them and applying Nu Stock, that really seems to help with a lot of the issues we deal with. Helps kill mites along with using a topical like Ivermectin Pour On.

again, not sure what else to suggest. Can you get pictures of the sores?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts