The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14,615 Posts
Uh oh, Pam musta been thinkin goats. :laugh:Unless you have 40lb chickens?

I would try either Vet Rx for poultry or just rubbing some mineral oil on their legs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just saw this. (And laughed too!)

But, more seriously, one of the best things for treating scaly leg mites is Campho Phenique.

Just brush it on the affected areas and repeat it about 2x a week until things start to clear up. After the first few treatments you can spread it out to about once a week since it really does a number on those little mites. They barely have legs at all and they can't move fast enough to get away from it.
I much prefer the "burn and suffocate them" approach to using a systemic poison like Ivermectin, but that method will also work.

Feather-legged breeds of poultry are especially susceptible to leg mites here in the Pacific Northwest so my Silkie chickens and I have had several battles with them.

·
14,615 Posts
Good stuff! Im just amazed at how many different everyday products will work in different situations without having to order out or get the vet.

·
2,203 Posts
We also use Vicks in the beginning for one week. Then we use Vasoline every day until the skin appears normal and smooth. Continue for 3 extra days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts