The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to goats and In January I decided to get my first two does, I was told that they were both 8 months old and they were pygmys. We got there the guy put them in are car and left (red flag) it was getting really late and we still had a 2 hour drive back so we left without think, with in the next week or so I was 90% sure that they were in fact Nigerian dwarfs (this was confirmed) but what really made me mad was that Fern was 3 years old,iris was pushing 2 years old, and that iris is more than likely Ferns daughter. What are your scam stories?

·
8,495 Posts
Years ago, I bought some French Alpines from a guy. Big old cow barn (4 hrs. away). His son, age 10 or so, kept bouncing a basket ball, continually. Thumpa Thumpa Thumpa, right near me. It was beyond irritating. I was getting pretty ticked off- but didn't say anything.

Trying to hear the guy talk, low light in the barn (no electric lights, dusk out, and I didn't have a flashlight- last time that happened!) The does were ok, a little thin- but, I drove all that way, they were French Alpines (which, means absolutely nothing, if you aren't some muckety muck), etc. So, we took them to my truck. (2 of them) One had sort of a pendulous udder, but he assured me they milked well and never had mastitis, both were bred, they were the last of his herd and his favorites, bla, bla, bla, on and on about these does. (man was I stupid or naive...)

Meanwhile, the kid kept bouncing that daggone ball, right by me.... I figured the kid had a problem, so I didn't say anything......

Got the does home- One had a terrible raspy cough, called the vet- figured shipping fever....
Nope, lung scar tissue from severe lung worms. She had a terrible cough, not loud, but continual. That was what the ball thumping covered up.

The udder on the one doe had blown teats, huge ball of an udder, no medial support- what a mess. The other never did get bred. Both went to a neighbor and are living life as pasture pets and a horse's friends.

I feel stupid even telling you all (and the world). But, moral of the story- no matter how far you go, if it isn't what you really want, all you have lost is time- a bad goat isn't worth the heartache and cost in the long run......

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ok so I feel really dumb telling this but here goes.
I was buying my first Boer does and I went to this lady’s house that was selling her herd. I wanted traditional colors and these three were the only traditional she had. They looked good! I felt for any bumps around their necks, listened to lungs, judged their body condition etc. Everything looked good with the first two. But the third had diarrhea pretty bad. Red flags went up for me. I asked the lady about it. She assured me that she had a couple goats that got into a bunch of plants in the back pasture, and those got sick. She gave it pepto. I decided to go ahead and buy her (she did NOT give a discount on the goat). Fast forward TWO YEARS! She had diarrhea on and off because of severe worm intolerance. She had no immunity to sicknesses, she also had two miscarriages. I finally sold her a few months ago after trying nonstop to breed her, to no success. I still have the other two. They are awesome goats.
The moral of the story is this: never buy a sick goat unless you know exactly what’s wrong with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts