Scanned em tonight

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, May 4, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    We preg scanned the does tonight ... 7 out of 8 were pregnant so thats good, including one them looks like she is pregnant to my possibly infertile buck Heath. Five were not far along enough to scan.

:dance: Good start though!

The one pregnant to Heath, we got a really good picture of twins (not identical) kicking quite happily in their amniotic sacks.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    how exciting - I wish that was something I could afford

3. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is pretty good odds......congrats.... :wink:
  5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Keren is "scanning" something that you normally do "down under"? Does your vet do it? What does is cost (ballpark). I don't know what it costs here, I had a dog x-rayed once. I can't imagine it would be cheap enough to do on a regular basis, though.

So, is the questionable buck out of "hot water" now? Congrats on your results!
  6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    It is only $10 at my vet to get a doe scanned.
  7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    congrats...i didnt realize how spendy those machines are, i'll stick with the blood. but them gues you cant tell how many there are!
  8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Stacey - I certainly couldnt afford it under normal circumstances - my friend owns the ultrasound scanner - she is an older lady and figures she can offset the purchase price of the scanner by doing other people's goats for a fee. She also figures that it will be a good business venture when she gets a bit older and doesnt want to deal with 300+ goats anymore. She got it with a flexi-rent system which wasnt too bad, just pay small installments every week. And it does all types of animals.

Yes, scanning is probably the most common method of pregnancy diagnosis for sheep and goats here. Very very few people use the blood draw method. In cattle ultrasound is used a little but the main tool is still palpation. Vets can do the preg diagnosis via ultrasound, but it is more often done by laypeople who have been taught by either the vet or self taught, they just go around doing big mobs of sheep each day. Cost is generally $3-4 per doe/ewe. Depending on the number you have to do, there may or may not be added costs for the guy to travel out to your farm, or for a consultation if you bring them into the vet. It is definitely cheap enough to do on a regular basis. When I was last doing vet rounds with our local vet, we did roughly 500 sheep in 2 hrs. It usually takes about 10 seconds for a positive diagnosis, a touch longer for empties because you look a bit longer and check both horns. This is at a place that has a very good setup where the sheep run up a race into a box at the right height to access the belly. It takes longer if you have to catch and hold each individual animal like me lol

The buck is out of hot water for the moment ... I will keep him until the doe kids down, by the dates I will know for certain who they belong to.

AB - skilled operators can do a twin vs single scan and a lot of people do that to feed the ewes seperately ... me and my friend are not that good yet, we can tell pregnant/empty but only sometimes we can see twins or singles.

I'm going to be busy ... my kidding schedule is:

July 22 Anna
    July 30 Possum
    July 31 Vanity
    August 1 Spot
    August 1 Sweet Pea
    August 2 Fiona
    August 11 Calamity
    August 31 Lulu
    September 2 Charlotte

With a couple in between there that I didnt get actual breeding dates on
  9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :shocked: 500 sheep in 2 hrs! Wow! I don't think I've heard of a sheep operation like that here (but, what do I know). When I lived in Utah there was a farm with ALOT of smelled sooooo bad...much worse then hogs (I grew up in Iowa, Mom said they smelled like "money")!! Very interesting. My vet would probably charge me $30. for an ultrasound (I shouldn't say that...I've never asked). I would even pay the $10. (thanks Goatnutty) gladly on occasion...oh well.
  10. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    How cool! Last year my vet asked if she could come out and scan our goats. We told her we didn't think they
    needed to be scanned. She didn't think they needed scanning either she just wanted to scan a goat because she
    never had.
  11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's great!! :greengrin: