Scared goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dwarf Dad, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Funny problem here. My herdqueen, Bonne, will run the younger goats out of the barn. Sinatra, the oldest, bighest wether will see all of the younger ones running and spook. When Sinatra spooks, Bonne spooks and all of the goats are running real fast away from the barn.
    When the goats decide to go back to the barn, no door open 24 hours, they sneak back slowly across the yard with Sinatra in the lead. They move ahead about five or ten feet at a time, stopping for a minute or two at each advance, until Sinatra gets in the barn. If anything happens, like dog or cat run across yard, they all run away from the barn again. They will wait a couple of minutes and start the procedure over again. When they do finally make it to the barn, hurry get water, hit minerals or eat some hay, before Bonne runs them all out again.
    This is very entertaining though I would rather she wouldn't chase them out. Any ideas?

elvis&oliver likes this.
  2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Oh wow, I'm really not sure what to say! silly goats! We don't usually have problems except in late summer. There is a walnut tree on the fenceline next to the backside of the barn and when the walnuts fall and hit the metal roof it freaks them out. I usually don't worry much since it's warm weather so if they choose to sleep outside they'll be fine. But... with hay and minerals being inside ideally I would want them to be inside and not be scared.

Hopefully others have some ideas you can try. Ours usually settle down and go inside, especially this last fall since it's been so wet and yucky.

3. Dwarf Dad

This is constantly going on, unless they forget about it and go eat somewhere. It is funny to watch.
    Warm here now 62*F. High seventies next week

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You could separate the bully.

mariarose likes this.
  5. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    lol..some of dem crazy southern goats

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    That is really funny!

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  7. SonRise Acres

SonRise Acres Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    I don’t know if it’s a fixable issue, but the picture in my head right now has me laughing.

Dwarf Dad and MadCatX like this.
  8. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :haha:

Maybe feed them in the area they are afraid of.
    That is if there is nothing there, that is actually spooking them.
    Anything new, even a plastic bag makes them snort or go and slowly investigate.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Mine are afraid of me when I wear a hat. I never do unless it is bitterly cold to the extreme. They see me in a hat and snort, run away and will not come anywhere near me until I take the hat off.

11. Dwarf Dad

That is the feeding area, that is what is so strange.

12. Dwarf Dad

That is funny, at Easter try some bunny ears.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe a rat or some critter in there?
    Anything new in there at all?

14. Dwarf Dad

It is hilarious! I can't get a video with my phone through the kitchen window because it is too far away. I don't have a video camera, or I would video it for y'all.

15. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Oh my....that’s hysterical! Not sure how you can fix it but thanks for the good laugh. Hope you can figure it out I’m sure the younger goats will get a little braver the older they get? And call her bluff

16. elvis&oliver

elvis&oliver Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Pa
    Is there anyway to provide some hay and water outside as well maybe? So they don’t have to go in the barn each time?

17. Dwarf Dad

I had thought about that. I might revive their old tarp tent over a round bale out in the yard