The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny problem here. My herdqueen, Bonne, will run the younger goats out of the barn. Sinatra, the oldest, bighest wether will see all of the younger ones running and spook. When Sinatra spooks, Bonne spooks and all of the goats are running real fast away from the barn.
When the goats decide to go back to the barn, no door open 24 hours, they sneak back slowly across the yard with Sinatra in the lead. They move ahead about five or ten feet at a time, stopping for a minute or two at each advance, until Sinatra gets in the barn. If anything happens, like dog or cat run across yard, they all run away from the barn again. They will wait a couple of minutes and start the procedure over again. When they do finally make it to the barn, hurry get water, hit minerals or eat some hay, before Bonne runs them all out again.
This is very entertaining though I would rather she wouldn't chase them out. Any ideas?

Reactions: elvis&oliver

·
14,730 Posts
Oh wow, I'm really not sure what to say! silly goats! We don't usually have problems except in late summer. There is a walnut tree on the fenceline next to the backside of the barn and when the walnuts fall and hit the metal roof it freaks them out. I usually don't worry much since it's warm weather so if they choose to sleep outside they'll be fine. But... with hay and minerals being inside ideally I would want them to be inside and not be scared.

Hopefully others have some ideas you can try. Ours usually settle down and go inside, especially this last fall since it's been so wet and yucky.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is constantly going on, unless they forget about it and go eat somewhere. It is funny to watch.
Warm here now 62*F. High seventies next week

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
:haha:

Maybe feed them in the area they are afraid of.
That is if there is nothing there, that is actually spooking them.
Anything new, even a plastic bag makes them snort or go and slowly investigate.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Mine are afraid of me when I wear a hat. I never do unless it is bitterly cold to the extreme. They see me in a hat and snort, run away and will not come anywhere near me until I take the hat off.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:haha:

Maybe feed them in the area they are afraid of.
That is if there is nothing there, that is actually spooking them.
Anything new, even a plastic bag makes them snort or go and slowly investigate.
That is the feeding area, that is what is so strange.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine are afraid of me when I wear a hat. I never do unless it is bitterly cold to the extreme. They see me in a hat and snort, run away and will not come anywhere near me until I take the hat off.
That is funny, at Easter try some bunny ears.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if it's a fixable issue, but the picture in my head right now has me laughing.
It is hilarious! I can't get a video with my phone through the kitchen window because it is too far away. I don't have a video camera, or I would video it for y'all.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oh my....that's hysterical! Not sure how you can fix it but thanks for the good laugh. Hope you can figure it out I'm sure the younger goats will get a little braver the older they get? And call her bluff

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there anyway to provide some hay and water outside as well maybe? So they don't have to go in the barn each time?
I had thought about that. I might revive their old tarp tent over a round bale out in the yard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.