Scary birth!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by speeddemon, May 1, 2010.

1. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    My very first goat birth (last night) was complicated and stressful! The first baby was in a red bag and upside down. I got her out quick and there was no heartbeat. I rubbed her and rubbed her and she was just so tiny and dead. The second one had a normal looking bag and even though his head was first and his legs tucked underneath him, we just reach in and repositioned his legs and he came out great! Alive and breathing and healthy. Third one was in a red bag as well. She was sideways with her legs straight back. Wasn't breathing at first so we pulled her out quick and started working on her. She was weak but okay. The mama didn't want anything to do with her and was stepping on her so we held mommy still while baby nursed. She eventually started letting the baby nurse on her own.

Happy to say we have one healthy light colored traditional boy and one healthy little girl with a traditional colored head and one spot on her right shoulder. Welcome to the world Daisy and Mack :stars: I'm seriously loving goat ownership and I'm so proud of Turtle (the mommy) for being so cooperative and trying so hard to save her babies. :love:

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Congrats on the live babies and so sorry you lost the one.

3. jberter

jberter New Member

Congrats on the baby's and a wonderful Mom,,, sorry to hear about the little girl though,,, :sigh: Would love to see pictures of them all with their mom when you catch your breath.. :hug:

4. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Here they are shortly after being born. Sorry for the bad quality picture, it was on my phone. And its okay about the girl. I just feel really guilty but good at the same time that we were there to save the other two.

[​IMG]

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They are beautiful.....congrats :thumb: :love:

Sorry you lost one... :( :hug:

6. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Congratulations and good work saving your two babies!

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yikes... that does sound scary! Congrats on your new babies! They are adorable.

8. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks, guys!

Do you all think it is safe to breed the doe again (after the babies are born and she puts on some weight of course)? This was her first time kidding so maybe she'll have an easier time of it next time around. There are people home 24/7 so we can help her if need be but I just don't want to put her life or any potential lives in danger.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    GOOD SAVE job well done!! :clap:
    Your doe can be bred again, right now just enjoy those cuties ok?

10. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Yeah I am! I'm not thinking about breeding her until probably August. She is thin and I want to see her healthy and enjoying life for a while :)

11. jberter

jberter New Member

Awwww,, what pretty baby's.. :love: Thank you for sharing the pictures and love their names & moms to.. How did she end up with the name of Turtle though??? Letting my imagination run wild,, I can come up with a bunch of funny reasons.. :p I was wondering the same thing with the breeding back on my girls,, thanks for posting that question,, mine didn't have a hard time birthing.. But I was wondering just the same..

12. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    The day I brought her home I rescued two turtles off the road after some idiot kid swerved trying to hit them. lol. So it was kind of a random thing I guess.

Here is Daisy all dried off and standing. She is the one that wasn't breathing.
    [​IMG]

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    How beautiful! She's a stocky little thing, too, isn't she? Congratulations.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    aw! too cute, great job :)

15. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    For being a triplet, she aint bad. :) Her brother is bigger though. I'm honestly just happy they are alive. My next challenge is getting Turtle healthy.

16. jberter

jberter New Member

awwww,, love the story of how Turtle got her name and your little girl is a sweet heart and quit the looker.. Sooo glad your was there and able to save her.. :hug:

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :thumb: Glad the other two made it. Sorry about the first one. Nice job to you and Turtle. :applaud:

Gina

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW Great job. It is hard when you have a delivery like that as a first delivery. Beautiful babies. :eek:hlala:

Great job knowing what to do and when to help out. :stars:

19. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Yeah. I was hoping she was going to go smoothly and have a single baby. But oh well, I guess dealing with the difficult stuff makes you a better owner in the long run :)