scent glands too?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Feb 18, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Do you (or should you) burn off the buck's scent glands when you disbud? Will this affect their ability to mate?

Is there some type of anesthetic spray you can put on the wound after disbudding?

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I used to drag the iron over a bucks scent glands because its what the person who taught me to disbud did. But i never noticed a difference between bucks who had theid scent glands cauterized and ones who didnt. Then i was told by several long time breeders that they open back up again after a few months. So even if you do it doesnt make a difference. I only keep one or two bucks around at any given time. I notice bucks stink more when there is more of them. I think they feel the need to compete for the ladies and the pee on themselves more. When i only have one buck he hardly gets sticky and stinky at all. When i have two bucks one is always a kid and only gets a few does.
    beth

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Beth I was thinking the same thing too. Parents wont let me get a buck kid though which is frustrating eventhough I told them about the less stink etc. Oh well will try to see if I can board him somewhere :thumb:

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You know my parents were against a buck as well stacey, but i brought one home and they didnt notice. it just got to be such a hassle taking my does to outside bucks. Not just because of the cost and travel time but the expense of breeding fees. Anything more then three does was just too expensive. You might try convincing them to let you get a new buck kid every year. I knwo its hard to sell them but if you can find a good home, even full grown nigies arnt too bad to air ship because they are little. With so few does you could justify getting a buck kid early in the year, maybe january or so, raise him for the year, he would be ready to breed by the next fall. once your does have settled you can sell him as you would more then likely need a new buck kid to if you kept any does out of him. Because you would need something unrelated. And like i said whn you only have one buck (and a young one at that) they really dont stink too much. every once in awhile i get a wiff up at the house of the bucks if the wind is headed in the right direction. But for the most part my young bucks dont stink much.
    ebth

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    been there - tried that. had everything laid out. they said they would consider it but I know they wont. Minds made up already :sigh:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

would they let you lease one? bring him home until all your does are bred and then he can go back home?
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yah we can do that -- but that kind of defeats the saving money part :wink:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea i guess it depends on the lease.
    beth

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry bill taking over your thread :oops:

Well it seems I might have a place to board him for free or a minimal amount! :leap: will know for sure soon (she has to talk to her husband but it shouldnt be an issue)