The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My teenage son is wanting to do a science fair project having to do with the weight gain of different breeds of goats. His kiko doe should give birth (hopefully to twins ;)) any day now, but he needs several other breeds in order to make it more thorough. He was wondering if anyone on here would consent to sending their kids' stats (weight gain) for the first month or two. He would prefer Boar, Spanish, or Savanna meat goats, but if you have different breeds, even crossbreeds, it might be fine as well. He would prefer that they be born in December, in order for it to be parallel, but is not entirely necessary. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Wish I could help :( I also wish I could do a science fair but I am homeschooled :) :laugh: I'm sure there is SOMEONE on here that will be able to help out :)

·
14,730 Posts
Sounds like a neat project, how old is he?
We don't have any babies on the ground yet, we're expecting fullblood boer babies in a couple of weeks, kiko/boer as well. Nubian/boer mid Jan..

Does it need to be gains right now or from say...last winter? How often does he need the weights? I think I still have weekly and bi weekly weight gain on our kids from last year.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weekly gains from last year by breed would be great. It does not need to be from this year just regular gain updates from the same age group. Thanks so much for helping him with this!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 8 day old Nubian x LaMancha crosses. I could help out if I can get my scale to work?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Ah-ha, I found the thread! My Nubian buckling who was born a week ago weighed 5.5 lb at birth, and now weighs 9.5 lb. Interested in seeing how that compares. Will post other baby weights as they arrive :)

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Only 11.5 lb at two weeks...he's been eating plenty, so either my scale is wacky or I caught him just before a meal yesterday and just after one last week :p I'll check again tomorrow after I'm sure he's nursed and see if it's different.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all very much!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts