The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The scours have turned green and aren't stopping. We are snowed in and getting out would have to for an emergency. She is constantly bleating, like something is wrong. She is still drinking electrolytes and up moving around. I really don't know what else to do for her, can someone help please?!?

· Registered
6,548 Posts
Do you have any immodium? You need to get the scours stopped. What kind of electrolytes are you giving? She still needs energy in the form of glucose of some kind. Plain yogurt might help. If you can possibly get to a farm supply you need to get a scour halt med of some kind....someone has mentioned one for pigs. (edit...NM...just went back and read that you are snowed in)

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's 2 weeks old and I had her on milk replacer but I stopped them yesterday morning when this started. The scours started as mustard colored and then turned green. I've had her on Gatorade since stopping the replacer bc I was not prepared for anything like this when the snow hit.

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Oh No...Dont use immodium...it can plug her up...a whole new problem...give pepto or scour halt....Keepingher hydrated is important...

STOP MILK! give electrolytes in the bottle only..she can not digest it right now...if you have C D Antitoxin...give it 1 cc per 5# sub Q...
B complex is always helpful during stress and illness

What milk are you feeding, how much and how often?
take her temp...

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
She's 2 weeks old and I had her on milk replacer but I stopped them yesterday morning when this started. The scours started as mustard colored and then turned green. I've had her on Gatorade since stopping the replacer bc I was not prepared for anything like this when the snow hit.
Good thinking getting her off the replacer...! Once you get her dry ..give her whole cows milk instead of replacer...

Weigh her...multiply her weight by 16 to her get weight in oz....then multioly that by 10% to see how much per day she needs....divide into 3-4 feedings

here is a recipe for home made electros'
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

· Registered
2,699 Posts
We had this happen to almost all of our babies last year. They were getting a bug from the wood in there pen. We had to take them off milk for 72 hours and feed them electrolytes. Every 3 hours we would feed them as much as they would take and the only ones that made it was the ones we moved out of that pen. Good luck ;)

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
Pumpkin..even can pumpkin can help...not a the prepared pie filling..just plain pmpkin..if youhave fresh..just boil and mash

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
you can use honey inthe electros...raw is best...most reg. honey is diluted honey...I htink if I remember correctly, diluted with corn syrup? YUK

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My husband is going to try the roads and get to tractor supply (it's the closest thing), I'll stay here with here. He's going to get some scour stop, probios and I've made the electrolytes anything else that he might pick up while he's there?

· Super Moderator
36,679 Posts
CD Antitoxin if your TSC carries it...NOT TOXOID ; ) B complex is nice to have on hand...

Getting her off milk and giving pepto and electrolytes along with cd antitoxin if you have it..should help her ..so if roads are not safe...please dont risk it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.