Scouring?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Flow&FeFe, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

My male goat, Blade, is scouring and the show is tomorrow! Of course scouring goats cannot show. But this scour isn't liquid, it's kinda bumpy and a little bit mushy. So I don't think it's bad.

But I think he's scouring because he's stressed and the feeding times had changed. He's being fed less because my teacher says that if he eats too much, he'll bloat. That I understand.

My teacher says that he'll feed him some nutmeg (or something like that) medicine tomorrow morning at 6:00 am.

But I also still want to ask, how do i stop his scouring before the show at 8:30?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if he is on grain -- take out the grain. Give him only grass hay tonight and tomorrow. Give some oatmeal mash - this will help to bind up his stools. Also pepto helps with the scours.

3. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Will Alfalfa hay work? He won't eat the grain so feeding him grass hay will most likely work. Thanks! And I'm not sure if my teacher will let me give him oatmeal ^^;

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if he isnt already on alfalfa then that will cause scouring on its own so no I would just give him straight grass hay.

5. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Okay, thank you! Man, i should have kept him on the Alfalfa hay! I stopped him three days ago because I ran out. Oh well, thank you for the help! Yeah, I'll get some grass hay!

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sounds like he is trying to fix it himself by not eating his grain. You can try giving him some probios if you have some. I give a heavy dose and it usually helps with that. Lots of bland hay, oatmeal and pepto like was mentioned, but be careful you don't want things to go too far the other way and for him to be constipated.

7. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Anytime you think you have an animal that might even have a chance to be in a stressful situation you should begin a coccidiostat. All my show animals are preventitively treated for coccidisosis starting a few weeks before they begin the show circuit. That would be the preventitive cure...pepto would be your only fix now other than leaving him at home...I can't imagine a wether that is/was/had been scouring even placing in a show...Better to take his health into account and leave him home...We left my son's best wether home from a jackpot show last summer...He was mad but I knew the wether had no chance because he went off feed earlier in the week and lost condition overnight...He recovered and went on to show and place just not at that show....It Is a Rough choice but probably better for the wether.

8. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Okay, I went this morning at 6:30, fed him some nutmeg and grass hay, then cleaned him up. He was still a little solemn in the personality but he did very well in show! :) Thank you so much!