The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got 2, 5 week old baby goats (Pygmy/ND) I've had them going on 3 days now. They have been on mom & I'm new to owning goats, I'm having such a hard time Bottle feeding these babies they WILL NOT take a bottle, so I offered Grain & fresh Hay and they love it. They have also been drinking water too. They are both sisters & I've notice one of them has bad diarrhea... I've been giving Electrolytes through bottle and she loves it and will drink the whole thing but when it comes to the Goats Milk Re placer she will not drink it. How do i help this little one with her diarrhea issues? how many times a day do i need to give her the electrolytes? Is it OK for the 5 week old to eat Grain & Hay at this age with no milk?

Thanks so much :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
They are way TOO YOUNG to be weaned. You cannot use replacer, use whole milk, cows or goat from the store.

Get a fecal test for coccidia.

To calculate how much you need to feed: get the babies weight in lbs, multiply by 16 to get the weight in oz. Multiply that number by 10% and you will get the per day amount of how much milk is needed. Then divide that into about 3 or 4 feedings. These directions are from @happybleats and they seem to be the most accurate when it comes to how much to feed.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Good advice. They need at least three bottles a day with the feed. Their Ruman is just not ready for solids only. If they wont take the bottle, you can try teach them to drink the milk out of a bucket. Or put A touch of honey on the bottle teat. As they get to 12 weeks they will show signs of only wanting solids.
They are so cute. Good luck.

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Awe..such dolls!! Im sorry the breeder sold them rrady to go without being bottle trained. Here's a trick that might help.

When you put them to bed..do not leave any hay or feed out for them. You want them hungry in the morning.
Buy quality whole cows milk for them and follow the amount instructions above..heat the milk on the stove (never the microwave) to very warm..should feel pretty hot when touched but not burn your finger.
Put honey on the nipple..set baby on your lap , legs tucked. Hold babies chin up a bit with on hand and dip your finger in a little honey..place far back on her tongue..may take a few times but the idea is she will suck the honey right off..do this until she us sucking eagerly..then slip the nipple in. She will taste the honey first..then warm milk...hopefully she will be hungry enough to drink. This may take a bit so be patient. Often once one is taking the bottle the other becomes curious enough to try, but do honey trick with both.

Also time for coccidia prevention...asap

Best wises

Reactions: Julia yuanli

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank y’all so much, I’m currently warming some whole milk I got from the store. Also what kind of coccidia prevention should I get?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awe..such dolls!! Im sorry the breeder sold them rrady to go without being bottle trained. Here's a trick that might help.

When you put them to bed..do not leave any hay or feed out for them. You want them hungry in the morning.
Buy quality whole cows milk for them and follow the amount instructions above..heat the milk on the stove (never the microwave) to very warm..should feel pretty hot when touched but not burn your finger.
Put honey on the nipple..set baby on your lap , legs tucked. Hold babies chin up a bit with on hand and dip your finger in a little honey..place far back on her tongue..may take a few times but the idea is she will suck the honey right off..do this until she us sucking eagerly..then slip the nipple in. She will taste the honey first..then warm milk...hopefully she will be hungry enough to drink. This may take a bit so be patient. Often once one is taking the bottle the other becomes curious enough to try, but do honey trick with both.

Best wises

·
Registered
35 Posts

Best wises

·
Registered
39 Posts
I understand that to bottle feed with their immature stomach you must be care that that have to stretch their neck up like to the mums test in order to protect their stomach as they only get all their stomach pouches as they get older

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good advice. They need at least three bottles a day with the feed. Their Ruman is just not ready for solids only. If they wont take the bottle, you can try teach them to drink the milk out of a bucket. Or put A touch of honey on the bottle teat. As they get to 12 weeks they will show signs of only wanting solids.
They are so cute. Good luck.
I just ready an article that teaching baby goats to drink from the bucket is dangerous as their immature stomach needs to be more developed before this is safe,am I wrong in this? if so I need to correct my previous post, I am not experienced in feeding any babies so far,and do not mind being told if I am wrong

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
Why should you not heat in microwave?
Yes, Microwave may destroy some of the vitamins and nutrients in the milk but also heats uneven which can cause hot spots in the milk. Some feel a microwave wont hurt the milk, but since I haven't read any science testing to prove otherwise, we stick to stove top heating.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
56 Posts

Best wises

·
Registered
56 Posts
I saw you said heat the cow milk on the stove instead of microwave. I am beginner . I bottle-feed a 1-week baby goat who has pneumonia. I use microwave to warm the milk from a goat. Is it wrong?

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
I bottle-feed a 1-week baby goat who has pneumonia. I use microwave to warm the milk from a goat. Is it wrong?
I would stop heating the milk in the microwave. As mentioned the microwave can destroy beneficial nutrients

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 19 of 19 Posts