Scours in nursing 10 day old

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by boeredinoh, Apr 18, 2012.

1. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hello.

I have a single boer buckling born Easter morning who has greenish yellow scours. He started this Saturday evening. He would have only been 7 days old when he first got the scours. Started off as really yellow watery scours. so i treated for Ecoli using scour-hault (spectoguard) treated twice a day for 3 days. last night was his last treatment and i saw he started having more green colored scours. not as watery, but still definately scours. He is nursing from his mother.

Cocci doesn't normally appear until they are 21 days, so i don't think it is that. He was only "sick" (dehydrated and not feelign good) Saturday night-gave him electrolytes. Other than that he has been running around eating, acting normal. Could be milk scours. This is the 3rd kid i've seen with this though, so i'm starting to get a little nervous. The does are first timers so the milk scours seems like kind of a stretch.

Idk :shrug: any thoughts?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would go ahead and treat for coccidia.

3. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    Even though he is young its probably Cocci at work. If you want to go natural I'd give him 1/8 tsp of cinnamon and 1/8th tsp of cloves three times a day. That cleared my buckling up nearly after the first dose. If that does not clear it up then proceed to conventional Cocci eradicating methods.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You say.. it is green color and the kid has been eating...is it lush grasses? It may be what is causing it..to many greens..... illuminating some time out to graze may help if this is the reason....... Give pepto every 2 hours... until you see it firming...

Also... you can get a fecal done... so you will know if something is going on there... have them test for all the scouring causes on the baby of that age.... it evidently isn't e-coli... if you treated for it.... :hug:

5. boeredinoh

boeredinoh New Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Knock on wood, he seems to be over whatever it was. He has been out on pasture and i have seen him nibble on some, but it's not green like when does get pasture scours. It was like a pastel green...gross.

All i've got now is corid and i've been reading that doesn't seem to work real well, so i'll run get some albon and have it on hand if anything shows up in the other babies. I've been planning on purchasing a microscope to do fecals, so thank goodness it's payday.

Thanks! i'll let you know what i find out!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: :thumbup:

Corid works well for my goats here...but ...you are right... to change if it isn't working for you.... :thumb: