Scours issue

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by NubianLover, Oct 8, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    A few weeks back one of my does had some scouring, but it cleared up within just a day and she was back to normal quickly.
    Anyways, so my youngest doe (born in may) was fine last Saturday night, but Sunday morning I went out to feed I noticed she had really bad scours. There was poo all over her rear end, however she was acting completely normal (eating and drinking with a normal temp.) I gave her some probiotics and they did not work so had the vet out Monday morning. He gave her a checkup (eyes, gums, and stomach) and decided to treat her for coccidia. He gave her a shot as well as gave me some oral drench to give her for 5 days. At the time I asked if we should treat the others and do fecal testing and he said no as none of the others seemed sick. Today is day number 4 of me giving her the oral meds and she is still acting normal (feed, water, temp) but still not normal poop. Now it is more solid, but coming in clumps (which it had begun to do Tuesday, so no real change.) She is pastured with 2 other does and both of them are having normal poops.
    Should I have her fecal tested and then treat them all for worms? Or should I treat for worms and see what happens? I was going to call the vet in the morning and get his opinion, but thought I would ask here as well.
    Also, what types of wormers do you rotate between? Are there any wormers that cannot be used in a pregnant doe?
    Sorry so many questions, but like I keep saying I am new to this! No matter how much I read it seems the best knowledge comes from other owners. Thank you so much for any help.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i am surprised teh vet didnt do a fecal straight up.

Thats what I would do. You need to see if the coccidia medication is what you really should be giving before actually giving it when its unknown.

Anyway get the fecal and then go from there with worming or a different coccidia medication

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yep, fecal testing would be good at this point...so you know what you are dealing with and not just shooting in the dark. Find out what the problem is then go from there :)

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    What color was the scour?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... :thumb:

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The 5 day regime; they dont always clear up till day 5.

Yes get fecals & blast em good.

7. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Unfortunately, most vets don't know a ton about goats. Not saying this vet doesn't, but always insist on them following up on your concerns...because it is likely most goat owners know as much, almost as much, or more about goats than the vets do.

In any case, Ivermectin is safe in pregnant does. I've heard people talk about resistance build up in Ivermectin, but it seems like their is resistance to every single de-wormer out there. I've heard horse vets, magazines and articles claim that there is no resistance to ivermectin in horse worms... but I don't know. At the least, I think it is one of the most effective that has the least resistance in the US. It will not treat for tapeworms though. For tapeworms, you could use Valbazen, but I'm not sure on the safety for pregnant does. I think you can use it in preggos after the first 45 days, but I could be wrong. I just don't use it until fall, before I start breeding and everyone is open.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Firelight is right on, Valbazen is NOT safe for preg does. If it does happen to be safe on x day I dont use it.
    Ivermectin has thus far been a good one round these parts.

9. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Ok results are in and they have strongyles. What wormer should I use? Vet said panacur but that is what I used last time. Should I redo it with same wormer?

10. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Also wondering, is the panacur safe for pregnant does?
    Thanks!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Panacur and Safeguard are the SAME wormer...Febendazole. Safe for pregnant does and a minimal milk withdrawal time. It is important to get an accurrate weight on the goats, triple the weight and dose according to that weight, with Febendazole some dose for 3 days in a row and again 10 days after the 3rd dose for another 3 days. It's better to overdose a little than to underdose and build resistance to the wormer.

Pyrantel Pomoate is a wormer that will work on both large and small strongyles if the Febendazole has become resistant.

12. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    If I use the safegaurd goat dewormer, is it still 3 times their weight?

13. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    is safeguard goat the same way? triple the weight and not what it says on the back of the bottle?
    sorry for all the questions, i just want to get it right.
    thanks.

14. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    The dosage I use w/ the Safeguard 10% goat suspension is 1ml/10lbs of bodyweight.

Strongyles is a very broad term, btw.. Could mean almost any stomach or intestinal worm, except tapeworms.. Thing is, any goat with access to grass is going to have some strongyles -- it's perfectly normal for a goat. If the vet didn't give you an "egg per gram" number, a diagnosis of "strongyles" is really kinda useless.

How's the scour now? And what color did you say it was?

15. 5andcounting

5andcounting New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Please Please please becareful worming with safeguard! We lost 2 adult goats and almost lost another and lost 3 babies. The adults all had been wormed with safeguard and the one we almost lost had a worm overload and a blood level of 18, 10 is transfusion level. Just a warning!

16. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well the issue with the vet is that I have to take it to one vet to have it tested and get results from another vet :scratch: Our clinic split and the clinic only deals with dogs/cats while the other vet is a livestock vet.

After reading your post I just called the clinic and they do not have numbers. All they have is that it was a "strong" amount of strongyles. So no help there... may need to find a new vet or somewhere else to get number counts.

Scours are gone. She is back to normal poop. At first the scours were light brownish color, but then by day 2 were a darker brown.

17. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Well, the Safeguard won't hurt. I forgot to mention that I do the 1ml/10lbs dosage for 3 days in a row.. I still get pretty good use out of it at that dosage around here.

Glad she's better. :D