The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. Two days ago, we had a big weather shift, and a lot of rain. Later on in the day I spotted my buck-pen abiding wether, Captain, munching on the wet grass. The next day, his scours were slightly loose. I figured, hey, it's just dietary. But the day after that he was straining to poop and seemed uncomfortable. I grabbed the GI Soother (Fir Meadow) and gave him double dose with garlic hourly. His scours continued to loosen, but he started acting like he was feeling better.

This morning, his scours are watery, and I'm very concerned. I wonder if I overdid the GI Soother, or didn't give enough. I sent out poop for a fecal yesterday, so I'm waiting on results to see if it's cocci, but until then, what can I do for him? I put ACV in their water, scrubbing out everyone's buckets and feed pans, and I made sure he's hydrated. He's drinking and peeing like a pro, and isn't acting too sick, he still wanted loves and came running up for his minerals.

Here's my problem: Should I give him some scour halt and let his poor tummy rest? Or should I treat like it's cocci? I'm afraid if I treat him for cocci it will hurt his stomach if he doesn't have cocci. On the other hand, if I leave him be, and he does have cocci, it could get worse.

I've attached some pics of his "scour progression".

Thanks, guys. Pulling my hair out over here. :( He's the fattest and healthiest of the bunch. Eyelids are good. Mouth is warm and wet. Stomach feels ok. Only other thing I can think of is we pulled some nightshade from their pen, and I wonder if he got some.

Any advice would be well appreciated. The scours smell like normal poo as far as I can tell ... doesn't have that rotten cocci smell, or the dark stickiness. Should I give him pepto? How much? And don't worry I do intent to clean off that poor bum.

Pretty concerned. :( :help:

Attachments

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and all of his friends have normal poop, gladly. I'm cleaning out his stall today, and will put him in stall rest with hay, water, and baking soda. Any other advice would be great, I want him to get better.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
If you sent a fecal sample, I would wait for the results.

Probios never hurts. I don't think you gave too much gi soother. Probably helping the system clear out. I wonder if mixing the garlic and gi soother maybe upset him a little.

I would probably just do Probios and see how he does.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Karen! I was so afraid I hurt him, I lay off the garlic. I'll wait for fecal samples and give him probios. Would you suggest scour halt or pepto, or would that upset him even more?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I would probably do the pepto but I have never used the scour halt before so I don't know what is in it.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right, how much pepto would you suggest? I haven't weighed him recently, he is four months and a pretty big boy ...

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been a strange year, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had more struggles than normal this year. Very odd, and he's in perfect health too, at least as far as I could tell. We'll get that probios and pepto in him. I don't like using store probios but I don't know if the garlic upset his tummy.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I agree with it being dietary, giving pepto and "you know me" C D antitoxin always when watery poop is present..

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks, happybleats! Slurped down the pepto like it was candy, and we'll be sure he gets that stall rest.

dobe627, Johnes usually doesn't show scouring until they are a few years old, if I remember correctly. But a good point, for sure. :) Our herd has blood-tested neg. for Johnes.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Garlic is a good source or prebiotics, so you want to give it with probiotics. It's a symbiotic relationship - the probiotics feed off of and thrive due to the prebiotics. :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Poor little man :( I hope he feels better soon. Pepto would never hurt their tummies (as far as I know) and really helps to soothe them. He may even just have a more sensitive stomach than other goats. My latest Boer wether always scoured when anything was slightly different, and we gave him electrolytes, pepto, and baking soda; within a few days it would go away.

Sending good thoughts to Captain!

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, everyone. This is my first time dealing with this kind of scouring, so once I realized he wasn't going to drop dead on me, I relaxed a little. :laugh: He's walking around with his buddies right now. Haven't been able to get him in stall rest yet -- my mom (and herd partner!) was out helping my sister move and is taking a much needed nap. Once she's up, we'll clean up his stall and put the little man to bed.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No change in the scours. Went out and gave him his second dose of pepto, and JUST now (earlier today he was normal) my 8 month old buck has loose stools. Augh! Still waiting for fecal results from the vet ... I'll keep them both off of the grass tomorrow, but it didn't even rain today. Not sure what to think of this. They are all getting alfalfa mix hay -- they've been getting it for at least a month now.

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is the Alfalfa/clover hay too rich? Should I stop giving it to them? I just don't know why they would react NOW and not when I first gave it a few weeks ago. Makes me think the pasture, but we don't have a dry lot. We can shut them in the shed, but it's a small shed and I hate to do it to them.

·
1,074 Posts
I'm inclined to think dietary as well. Do you walk your pastures often? Is there something around you that's blooming now or something like that? It could be that there is something that they'd been ignoring all this time, but all of the sudden they think it's yummy now and are eating more of it.

I forget if you mentioned on your post on TNG if you'd checked his eyelids/membranes - have you and are they good?

·
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
We pulled nightshade out yesterday, and I walked around today and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me ... I'll check again tomorrow. Eyelids were good last time I checked the 8 month old -- and the 4 month old has always been pretty good too. I'm so concerned for them, I want to know how to help. :( They'll be off pasture tomorrow, for sure. Should I give them activated charcoal? I just don't know what to think. They don't get grain at all so I don't think it's entero ... I'm waiting for fecal results on cocci but an 8 month old seems strange ... I searched their yard for poison but couldn't find anything, yet the 8 month old is suddenly loose too (as loose as some of the earlier pics of Captain) ... and it didn't rain, so I don't see why the 8 month old would get runny TODAY of all days! :(

·
1,074 Posts
Doesn't look like cocci, if it was parasites I'd be inclined to say barber pole or other strongyle because that's what my doe's poo who had BP looked like. Could be the nightshade, maybe not. AC won't hurt, I've given it before just to soothe tummies even if I know it's something dietary related. I have the paste and I think the dosage is something like 1 cc per 10 lbs but I don't give that much since I give it just to settle their tummies, not as a poison antidote.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts