The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 week old doeling had very soft stool yesterday. It was normal color and her appetite and activity levels are normal. Today her stool looked fine, just berries, so I chalked it up to milk bottle being the wrong temp or something, but just now she had extremely loose stool that ran down her backside and legs. It is lighter in color/yellower than usual and has no smell. She is still normal in activity and appetite. The vet is closed so I cannot do a fecal.

I am trying to decide whether to treat her for cocci or digestive upset. Today she has had her normal diet except for a few nibbles of grain and I put some thorvin kelp in their shed that she really liked. I also put some probiotic powder in her bottle for the first time. Could this cause scours?

What do you think? I have liquid oral and injectable di-methox, but she is acting fine and gaining weight steadily. I am a little perplexed by the back and forth with normal/abnormal poops.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I dont have the for sure answer, but after having cocci for the first time and seeing how sad it is when untreated, I now, even if I think it could be something else, also treat for cocci. It seems to work for me, but when I see runs I give corid, neomycin and a shot of cd antitoxin. If I also think that it could be from too much milk Ill throw some pepto in there, but only if I think there is a good chance of that.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She definitely didn't get too much milk, just the same as always. I have had her a week. She shows no symptoms of anything besides the sudden runs. I have been observing her in the past hour since and she isn't expelling anything.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
What milk is being used??
yellow runs on babies on milk is usually milk scours...sometimes they do well on the amount then they dont.....to see if she is getting too much milk...weigh her and multiply that by 16 to gether weight in oz..then multiply that by 10%..this is how much she should have in a 24 hour period...
If its pretty watery I would take her off milk for 12 hours and puther on electrolytes..give C D antitoxin and lether tummy rest...once she is back to berries..try milk again

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I just found out that she may have gotten into a little extra grain (what little was left over from the goats on grain). It is not totally water, but very goopy. She is getting 10% divided into three feedings.

What is the dosage for cd antitoxin?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I would for sure give that cd anti. and I know people treat for cocci at like 3, 6, and 9 weeks of age so I dont see how that would be any different then giving her some meds right now. Any way she got into some different feed? I had a kid get the runs after a few bites of our baby ducks food. You might want to check her temp just to be sure. To be honest I just dont understand the yellow poop. I only know of yellow poop being from of course their first milk, then ecoli, but I think 6 weeks is over the ecoli mark, thats why I was thinking the neomycin incase some kind of bacteria in the stomach. You could also try a shot of pen.g. To be 100% honest what i do in any situation that I dont know whats going on for sure is think of all it could be and treat it all and make sure that the meds I choose are not going to cause a issue being gave at the same time, but I know scours are a very fast killer at times. Also you might want to make sure she gets enough fluids, thats the main issue with the runs, Im sorry but I really dont have the for sure answer for you, all I can tell you is what I would do :(

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
here are two reasons for yellow color poo via
http://goat-link.com/content/view/50/92/#.Ua0zhWSDR69

Watery and yellowish Scours - With mucus or blood at times, low grade fever, caused by oocysts. Effects 1 to 4 week old kids usually (they are susceptible until they become functional ruminants): It could be:Cryptosporidiosis

*White or light yellow Scours--Acute. Sour odor, can look curdled. Usually affects newborns to 4 weeks old, but most commonly seen in babies younger than 2 weeks old. : Foul smell, looks as though it contains unclotted blood and sometimes tissue and mucus. Milk Scoursfrom too much milk or milk replacer.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Good on the milk amount: )
c D antitoxin amounts are

under 6 # 3 cc
6-15# 5 cc
15-20# 10 cc

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
I agree with Jessica..yellow poo is not the usual color for feed over load usually Milk... ecoli or Cryp. Either way..the cd antitoxin will help her..and electros..off mik for 12 hours will let her tummy rest...here is a great recipe
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

When I looked on the back of the electrolytes bag at ingredients the main ingredients were Sugars, Sodium/salts and Potassium along with vitamin and minerals..

Molasses is a sugar with Vitamins and Minerals

Of course the salts are hopefully self explanatory..

Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium..

This is much cheaper than those tiny bags of electrolytes and usually you have these ingredients on hand.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll do electros tonight. Just gave her 5cc SQ cd antitoxin and 5cc orally di-methox 12.5 solution. Temp is 103.1 F.

Do y'all think 5cc of the cd antitoxin is enough?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, now I'm worried about the Cryptospridiosis thing. Right now she is keeping my 5 week old buckling company and I am really worried that if it is Crypto he could get it, but I REALLY don't want to make her be all alone tonight.

At the risk of being very uncouth, here is a picture of her poop, so you can see what I mean by more yellow.

Sorry, I know I am totally freaking out right now.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
You gal is 6 weeks...and I just reread the info..it usually does not effect over 4 weeks old...
For tonight I would watch her..do electros and C D Antitoxin..a bit of pepto..6 cc for her size..and let her rest...if she still has the runs, expecially yellow...I would treat with neomycin which is a safe oral antibiotic for ecoli...I "think" its 1 1/2 cc split in two doses or 1 1/2 cc twice a day lol...the bottle says it on there....do this for three days along with the cd antitoxin and pepto ...once she is done give probios for three days at least..I would also have a fecal done to rule out worm load including Cocci..

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those pics are way more yellow than my girl's, but I have her separated until tomorrow, so I can do a fecal and see what's up. Might spend the night out with her, poor little thing. I just hate not knowing what to do. Of course they never get sick during business hours.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
no they never plan that well..lol..Im sure she will be fine..you said she is acting normal other wise? keeping her hydtrated in the best thing you can do for her along with the cd antitoxin...
I know its hard when they arent well...we sure get attached fast!!.best wishes

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Happybleats did you see the pic of the poop? To me it looks like a feed change. Either way I agree with happybldats on all she has said but it sure looks like the one I had that got into the duck feed. Is she acting fine? If your still awake I dont think she is at a high risk of not making it threw the night. I was told that oat meal helps with a big feed change but couldn't get mine to eat it. I would also keep going with the CD anti. Till her poop is back normal and maybe some vit.b will help her but not too sure.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
Jessica84...I cant see a pic at all..no linkot pic..but yes... feed change or milk chance can certainly cause loose poo...

Hows your little one this morning ??

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
:eek: silly me ..guess I just needed to click the words...:eek:
The poop does looks like feed/milk upset

I think the C D antitoxin, pepto and rest from milk should help that

what milk is she drinking?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts