The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old doe that has triplets. We recently started separating them and feeding her milk back, but giving mom a rest. We noticed that she looked very thin, so we add calf mann, beet pulp and BOSS to her Umbarger grain feed (introduced one at a time and slowly). Now she has the 'Plops' - loose still, but not watery scours. I wormed her about a month ago with Ivomectin. Should I re-worm? Treat for Coccidiosis, just in case? I gave her pepto yesterday. What else should I do? She isn't off feed, still has a good appetite - just skinny and has the 'plops.'

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would take a stool sample and have a fecal done -- could be coccidia could be worms could be diet. But Its hard to say which would be the correct avenue to take to bring her health back up till you have that answer. Any vet can do a fecal. Most just send it off to a lab anyway.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
it takes time to get a goat back up to condition..the plops is most likely from the feed...maybe back off a tad bit to see if she firms up..thenincrease slowly back to where she needs to be...no need for pepto with plops..I would only treat if its pudding to water...pepto can plug her up if given too much..
I would havea fecal ran to see which if any worms you are dealing with...
Hows her coat condition? sleek and shiny or course and wooly?
Her lower inner eye lids? bright pink to red or pale ?
are her eyes bright and alert?
how is her stance..proud and straight or hunched and tail tucked?

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
when the coat is not sleek and shiny could mean...worms, lice, mites..not eating right or copper def.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
I have two Saanen who are still course...Im working on trying to sleek them out...everyone else is sleek and shiny...so I begin with worm load..and a lice and mites check..then I will see how they are eating or if they need somehting added...the conditon of our goat hair tells us a lot of things...too many lol..allwe can do is begin to narrow the causes down until we hit sleek and shiny ;)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would take a fecal sample to the vet and have it run and start there, but I would also cut back on the calf Manna. That is the one that always gave my goats the loose poops. Take a fresh sample, even if you clean her rear. Put it in a cool place. I use a baggie, turn it inside out with my hand around it so all I have to do is pull it over my hand.

A livestock vet or any vet should be able to run the fecal float right then, they will only send it off if they are really stumped, (At least that is how it is here).

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Off feed....she needs C D antitoxin...if her eyes are pale go ahead and treat for worms..I would choose ivomec plus to cover most worms..1 cc per 40# sub Q
take her temp...if she has a fever tylan 200 1 cc per 25# every 12 hours sub Q

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
.white eye lids is real low iron..red cell ..vit. B 12 and wormer for sure... you can use Tylan 50 but have to give 4cc per 25#..thats alot of meds..you can try LA 200 if they dont have Tylan 200...

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
with her off feed and so weak...you will have to be aggressive to help her..if she were mine this is what I woruld do

Ivomac plus 1 cc per 40# sub Q
Red cell 6 cc per 100#
Vit. B 12 4 cc per 100#
C D antitoxin
if she has fever...Antibiotics as well as Banamine..
I would fix a bucket of electros for her
here is a good aticle to help you care for her anemia...this will be a slow process ..
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
Im sorry...that seems to be the norm..its hard to mine....I have to order it ..you can give her Milk of Magnsia to bind toxins...per Tenesseemeatgoats...Milk of Magnesia should be dosed orally at 15 cc per 60 lbs bodyweight and given every four to six hours until the goat passes clumps of feces and then goes back to making normal pills

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
yes...1 cc per 100 #

1 - 20 of 74 Posts