The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Scours that will not go away - Crap, update, kid down!

We have four kids born late april/early may.

They've ALL got scours. It's driving me insane!
The first one scoured early on and we've been doing our best to help with electrolytes, etc. The rest have just started recently.

They all were dewormed with Ivomec Plus June 19th. Since then they've been on Molly's herbal wormer. Membranes look great, no other signs of parasites. Fecals are for the most part clean on all of them.

I thought cocci... so gave them a full treatment dosage 5-day of Sulfamethizine. No changes.

CD was my next target. I mixed things up and got the vaccine on accident, gave it, realized it was wrong and got the anti-toxin. I gave that a week ago.

What now? Taking them to a vet or taking in fecals isn't possible. The one vet here who knows anything about goats doesn't -actually- know anything about goats and I wouldn't trust the results even if we took it in.

They're acting okay... up and running around, seem to be eating fine, not losing weight that I can tell. It's been weeks and they haven't faded, just stay all runny yucky. I'm sick of washing goat butts!

Update: Got a kid down. She's been hiding and I haven't noticed despite looking for signs. Dehydrated, weak, looks bony and thin. Extremely messy backside. UGH.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
What color is the poo?? The fact they are thriving while runny sounds like could be what they are eating...too much or new grain, or wet graze...it would have a green tint to it...

Pepto can help dry they bums and sooth the tummies....I would give C D Antitoxin every 12 hours until they are thickened up...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What color is the poo?? The fact they are thriving while runny sounds like could be what they are eating...too much or new grain, or wet graze...it would have a green tint to it...

Pepto can help dry they bums and sooth the tummies....I would give C D Antitoxin every 12 hours until they are thickened up...
Dark brown, but I have seen green tints. Nothing has changed as far as feed, water, etc. They're in the pasture they grew up in, it's been green since their birth, no grain.

Every 12 hours?? That's something I haven't tried... going to have to order more of it, ugh. I'll try it though! The pepto too. Any specific dosage?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
You can go to Ohio State University Vet Hospital. They can certainly do a fecal for you. There is also a good vet in Marysville.

I would be getting a fecal done. At this point, you really need to start there. And make sure they also test for coccidia.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can go to Ohio State University Vet Hospital. They can certainly do a fecal for you. There is also a good vet in Marysville.

I would be getting a fecal done. At this point, you really need to start there. And make sure they also test for coccidia.
I didn't even think of OSU! Thanks! Any idea how much it costs?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
It has been a long time since I have been there. They have never been cheap but neither was my local vet.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Dark poop would get me thinking parasites as well..or bacterial..a fecal would be a great idea..
pepto is the same dose as in humans...I give 6-10cc to kids and 10-15cc for adults..you cant over dose pepto so its safe if you give more..

·
558 Posts
I have a doeling that had bad scours from cocci and still had them after the 5 days of Sulmet. The breeder I got her from said to continue the Sulmet for a total of 10 days and give her an extra ml to account for any that dripped out or spit out. She stopped scours on day 7..... Just a thought. I am a newbie....

Having a fecal done to know the parasite is important.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts