scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by davidsminis, Oct 12, 2007.

1. davidsminis

davidsminis New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    georgia
    Ive got a doeling with a bad case of scours shes 7 month's old shes had it for three days I wormed her gave her kaopectate,yougert probios, magic syrup nothing works our vet don't know much about goats I cant think of anything shes had different with feed I was told but forgot how to make a dough ball that you could give for scours if you know or anything eles that will help please write shes fading fast I hope I can keep her alive until I can find a vet that can treat her thanks

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Basically I know of three frequent causes of scours- worm, cocci and ecoli. Have you taken a fecal into a vet? Even if the vet doesn't treat goats, they should be able to see if there are worms or cocci?
    Does she have a temperature?
    I would get her on some electrolytes like pedilyte as scours causes depletion of needed minerals.
    Also what wormer are you using? Some wormers may not be as effective as you might think -? Also how much worming have you done.
    Cocci- I usually use Sulmet that I get from the feed store or Jeffers.

3. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    Scours can be caused by so many different things with so many different treatments. Any time my goats have diarrhea for longer than a day, I take a fecal sample in to have it tested by a vet. Any vet can do a fecal, mine doesn't even ask to see the animal, and it's under $20 (although I'm sure prices vary!). That way the vet can tell you what you are dealing with and you can treat it the right way instead of just guessing. Not sure what a "dough ball' is...unless you mean baking soda ball. They are just baking soda mixed with a little water to form a ball.

4. davidsminis

davidsminis New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    georgia
    thanks

thanks for the help she died early this morning I should have took sample to vet but I just freaked out when she got sick I wish I had found this site in time to help her. btw her temp was 101.9 I use ivomec wormer I usually worm every three months unless needed more. she was healthy as could be then started with diarrhea still eat playing felling good wormed her, same the next day( didn't worm but once) gave probis k-pect fed her some pine and fir leaves still eating drinking strong. day three lost her I cant find any coccidiosis med at feed store but have jeffers book should have already ordered some but I only have a few goats and dint know if it would go bad before I needed it does this sound like cocc. what would you recommend sulmet,albon or di-methox thanks

5. samall

samall New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm sorry you lost her! It's really hard to lose one. I've only dealt with cocci once. Two 4 month old doelings both got sick shortly after I got them. Both had very runny, smelly diarrhea that was dark brown & dark greenish brown in color. At first we thought it was a reaction to the change in food so we waited a day, but by the next day there was no improvement and they were noticibly less active so we took a sample in. The vet prescribed Albon and we noticed an improvement after just one dose. I also keep Sulmet on hand but have never needed to use it. I know others have had very good results with it, though. My vet recommends dosing the meds orally rather than adding to water, to make sure they get the right amount.

I've never had a goat with e-coli so I don't know much about that, but I believe it can take them down pretty fast also. Maybe someone else here knows more about that.

Ivomec is good wormer but it doesn't get tapeworms. I used to use it on all my goats until a fecal showed tapeworms even though I worm regularly. My vet recommends using Valbazen on my goats except when they are pregnant. It's not a bad idea to take a random fecal in for testing every few months, just to make sure you are hitting everything with your wormer, that way if there is something that your wormer doesn't cover, you can catch it before it becomes a problem. I'm not big on pumping animals full of medications and wormers if they don't need it, but parasites can really take them down, and my goats are pets so it's hard to see them get sick.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'm so sorry you lost her.
    Cocci was a biggie for me because my first goats came with it. And the vet insists that deer bring it onto the place too.
    I use Sulmet powder from Jeffers- it has a long shelf life and I can mix what I need for each set of treatments. I only have two goats and their offspring so it's important to me that it lasts too.
    The treatment lasts for 5 days. So I mix up that much and keep it in the fridge til time to give it each day. Whatever is left overis thrown out.
    I bought a dosing syringe from jeffer too as it makes drenching soooooo much easier.