Scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Scott, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    One of my baby goats has scours. She is only 2 weeks old. It is yellow and is very watery. I gave her a little KaoPectate this morning before I left for work. If she is still having the diarrahea this afternoon do you have any suggestions? I don't know how a baby gets this. All she is receiving is her mothers milk.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I would give her another dose when you get home. Sorry someone else will have more ideas for you and even some good clues as to what it might be causing it.
    I just got done treating one but they are much older.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Scott. We need a little more information. Is this baby a bottle baby or on the mom? If she is bottle feed what are you feeding and how often, and how much?

4. Scott

Scott New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    She is on her mother and doing great. Very energetic. The scours just started. I think I will give her a little Probios tonight just to keep her energy up. Any thoughts?

5. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Could it be Coccidia?

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Does it smell different than regular goat baby poo? We use pepto at 5cc twice a day for scours to get it under control and see what's going on. If you have treatment meds, you might as well go ahead and treat for cocci. Won't hurt. If it's too runny, a fecal may not show anything even if something is there.

Info http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm