Scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bbredmom, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Hello all!

About two weeks ago, I noticed Etta, my preggers doe, had dark, glopy poo really bad. She was eating, drinking, and acting normally, but nasty poo. Neither of the boys had it at all-nice firm berries.

Allision and I figured it was Pre-kidding poo, and I kept her electrolytes up and but back on her grain a bit. I also let her be with her boys more, as that stresses her out to be away from them.

It cleared up almost immediately for a week, but it came back Tuesday. And Last night I noticed Butch the buck now has it.

I'm going to take in a fecal tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be? They are due to be wormed this week. Could it be cocci? They aren't loosing weight and they are still hydrated.

And if it is cocci, is it safe to give Etta the corid?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes it could be cocci or worms. Glad you will get a fecal. If one has it they all do so you can just take one sample in.

Yes it is safe to give your preggy doe the Corid and most wormers are safe too but double check if you are not sure.

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Just called the vet to make sure they are still running daily fecals, and they are! So yay, I get to gather poop tomorrow morning.

If it is Cocci, do I need to treat the newborn kid too, or will be recieve the medication thru his mom? Thanks!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    definately treat the kid also!

After the kid/s are born you can use Di-Methox. It is a heck of alot cheaper!! If you do the powder (you mix it with water for treatment) is only about 13.00 through online. That is what I use.

If you want the dosage let me know. i have never asked if it could be given to pregger does or not.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when the kid is born I wouldnt treat it right then but by the time it is 4 weeks I would treat it. Of course that is if what you are dealing with is cocci. If not then dont treat the kid unless he/she has cocci.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I do a preventative for Cocci with Di-Methox starting at two weeks of age. If there is an active case, then I treat for Cocci starting at 2 weeks.

7. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Allison, you changed your picture! It threw me off for a minute!

Where do you get Di-Methox? Our selection here is so craptastic.

Now I feel like a bad goat mommy. I just thought she was about to pop!

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I order mine from online. I just did a big order from valleyvet.com and it was like 13.00 for the packet, and you can split the packet up and make smaller amounts if neeeded (like for you with only a couple goaties). But like I said, I don't know if you can give it to them while pregnant - I know that you can after they pop!

Yah, since that is a picture of caramel - and caramel turned 1 yesterday and I haven't owned him since Feb last year - I figured I should change it! I am not a huge fan of buckskin coloring - but this picture of Trinity I just LOVE!

9. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Well, she is just a Cutie-patootie

My goaties will be ok, right? I haven't endangered them or the baby have I?

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    they should be fine - give them some gatoraide or something like that, get the fecal ran, and then treat as needed! It will all be ok

11. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, they've been getting the gatorade! They seem to prefer the yellow over the red, though.... :roll:

Thanks, I feel much better now. Silly goats, they sure keep us on our toes, dont they!

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no no you havent hurt them.. They will be fine.

I thought I responded to this earlier but I guess my internet had issues and it didnt post.

I said that I would have made the same assumption about it being close to kidding. You are now on top of it, no shame in what you have done. :hi5:

13. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ugh, the Husband just called. He leaves for work at 1:30, and puts Etta in her pen so she's not out "unsupervised" until I get home. Usually she goes right in.

No, not today. She ran from him, would not cooperate. Bad goat. Grrrrrr.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh she just trying ot make life more difficult -- part of her duty as a goat :roll:

15. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    So the vet just called. I took in a fresh sample from etta this morning. I know it was hers because it was still warm (ewwww) and in her kidding pen with her.

It was negative for everything! No worms, no cocci, nothing!

What does this mean now?

What was weird is the sample this morning was very well formed ball of berries.

I swear, they are driving me crazy. Could she just be stressing out the other goats because she is stressing about the impending kidding? Should I get her a little female buddy to be with her when she is away from the boys in her pen??

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats great that you have a clean bill of health in the parasite department.

As to her being stressed - does she act stressed? The clumpy berries arent to abnormal when it comes to prekidding and even post kidding. The body is going through a lot of changes.

How is your fellow -- is he still having loose stools too?

17. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy about the negative bugs in that aspect. I need to worm them tomorrow. But yay! For a newbie goatkeeper. :cool:

I dont know if he has had them today. They all need a bath-this poo gets everywhere, and they all have in on their nose somehow! So gross.

When I was cleaning Etta's heinie last night, it was obvious she hadn't had any runny recently. I haven't gotten to Butch yet-he's much wilder than Etta. Sundance doesn't have any.

I'm really starting to think its stress. They were together all day yesterday, and today Etta had firm poo. I dont know what I can do-she can't stay with the boys 24/7 until a few days after the baby is born. I guess as long as they are eating and drinking, I'll just have to keep and eye on them.

Any other ideas, goat-gurus?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are the boys wethers or bucks? Because if they are wethers I wouldnt worry abotu them being wtih her. If they are bucks then they could start to run her when she goes into labor. Once she kids the kiddos will keep her company. I would leave her with the boys as long as you can since that seems to be making her happy.

19. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    If she's stressing like that give her some probios or yogurt to keep everything balanced. The stress will throw the microorganisms out of balance then you will have problems. How far away are you separating them? Shelly

20. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have one buck and one wether. as of this morning, the buck was not having the gooey poo. they are in pens right next to each other, can touch noses and everything.

can she have flavored yogurt, or just plain?