The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 mth old goat with the scowers. I wormed her on Wednesday with safe guard and she still has them today. Eye lids are very white also.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Safe guard doesn't work in some area's anymore and others it does.
It is given at triple recommended dosage for goats, then repeat 10 days later, then again.
How much did you give her and what is her weight?

Get a fecal for worms and cocci, so you know how to treat properly, if her gums are white, she is critical.

Feed her mollasses water and Alfalfa hay. Start her out slowly, if she isn't use to it.

She will also need a iron supplement, red cell ect.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
First, Safeguard should be given for 3 days in a row then repeated10-14 days later if there is a worm problem. It should be dosed at triple the amount with paste and 1cc per 10 lbs with liquid.

However, if you don't know what worms you are treating, you have no idea if you are using the right dewormer. You need to have a fecal done to include coccidia and then go from there. There is no dewormer out there that takes care of all worms.

The age of your goat is prime for coccidia too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my little goat died today, I took her to vet had a fecal done and no big worm load. I gave her b complex, cydectin, and was giving her red cell everyday. Vet told me she was just very anemic. What causes the anemia and how do I better prevent it?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost her. Usually a worm load of some type causes anemia.

Some people do coccidia prevention in kids. Also keeping up on fecals to check for barberpole worm.

Personally I am finding that doing herbal worming is helping. This is a bad year for worms and it seems like it is taking a multiple approach to prevention and treatment helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts