Scrapie premise ID do you have to join to show your goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Apr 24, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi all dont know if this is where this goes, but I just wanted to know do I have to get a premise Id to show my goats. Cause I was looking at my entry forms for the shows and it says scrapie premise ID #. The breeder I know said I needed to join and if I dont have my number by the time of the show then to put pending on the sheet. I thought this was not a good thing to join. So now im really confused, and dont know what to do. Thanks for any advice I get.

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I'm not sure since we don't show our goats here in Holmes County, Ohio, we had a Scrapie premise ID for our Shetland sheep when we were raising sheep, now we just own Mini-Nubian goats.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    scrapies is one thing NAIS is totaly differnet

Scrapies has been around for years NAIS is new and I am personally against it.

I dont see a thing wrong with Scrapies except for ear tags

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...I agree with Stacey.... :wink:

if an animal isn't registered...normally you have to use a scrapies tag....but if ..the goat is registered you do not need one....because the tattoo indicates... where they came from that way.... scrapie tags...indicates the ranch ... where the goat originated from... if a epidemic of scrapie's was to arise...they would be able to track it back... :wink:

5. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    All of our entry forms have a spot for your scrapie ID but it only needs to be used if you are showing goats that aren't registered and tattooed. I think they do this so that they don't have to make up a bunch of different entry forms to go with each animal so they just make one generic entry form and you just fill out the parts that pertain to the particular animal you are showing. You do not have to register with the scrapie program to show registered goats. I have a scrapie ID only because we also raise crossbred meat goats that we don't register. All of my dairy goats are registered purebred and tattooed so all I need is their registration numbers and tattoo's for our entry forms.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It really depends on where you live. Here in washington, any un registered animal has to have a WA in front of the herd tattoo. So my unregistered anumals get WARYD. RYD (my herd tattoo) works for registered animals.
    When we went to nationals we had to show papers for scrapie ID. But i havnt had to show it at any other show so far.
    beth

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I had to get one for the move... but i am not puttin the ear tags on(needs a stubborn goat smillie) :greengrin: