Scrapie Tag...UGH!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HoosierShadow, Jun 28, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    As I posted a couple of weeks ago, one of my does had diarrhea for a day, and we found that the new scrapie tag that was put on when we bought her was a little infected/not healing right. So we treated it, and it was healing, and seemed fine.

But she hasn't been right the past few days - and I've been turning the scrapie tag like you would an ear ring and it seemed fine.
    She's just been soooo out of it and she's had a hoof abscess that we've thought was caused by hoof rot...

We put her on penicillin on Friday.

Last night I was determined to find out what was keeping her so out of whack.
    I had my kids hold her and I did a thorough exam on her ear thinking it was still the culprit. And sure enough, it was! Poor, poor girl. I turned the scrapie tag, and gently messed with the area around it, and found it was getting bad AGAIN.

I cut that thing off!

After cleaning it real good, I used an iodine based wound cleaner <not sure what it's called but it's good stuff>, this is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

It looks so much better this morning - the hole has already closed up and is starting to heal.

I think it was just too tight and couldn't heal completely. And now I am wondering....
    I know in horses everything seems to go to their feet when they are sick with infection.
    Does the same go for goats? Like I remember a horse being extremely sick with an infection, and she developed an abscess in her foot.
    Could her ear infection have caused her abscess? It just didn't seem like true hoof rot.... Maybe I am wrong in assuming this as a possability, but wouldn't know unless I ask.

And now what do I do? If we ever sold her, do I just send her scrapie tag along in a baggie? I am soaking it in cleaner right now so I can put it up. I don't want to put her through that drama again so I wouldn't even consider putting another one on her.

At least we can now hopefully get this 'drama' behind us!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just keep the tag and if you do ever sell her send the tag along.

3. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I dunno about everything running through their feet, but it's hard for anything to try and fight two infections at once.. Getting that tag outta there and starting her on Pen should help.

I'd get some 7% iodine on that.. Burns, but it kills everything and helps wounds dry up. This time of year, flies become a real problem when you've got surface wounds like that. Once a wound dries, though, it's more or less protected from flies. :)

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks - I am soaking the tags in bleach water right now to get all the ick off.

Her foot is really good, though she's still walking a little sore, but she's not been herself for days now, and we've been watching her. She wouldn't go out to graze or browse with the others - and my preggo doe who has a worse foot than her wasn't letting it slow her down at all.
    so I had a feeling something else else was going on - and the tag area really looked like it was healing. In fact, you couldn't see the red area at all until the tag was out - it was really tight IMO.

I used an Iodine wound cleaner that my husband brought home for horses, dogs and farm animals. He said it's real good stuff. Thankfully we haven't had a huge ordeal with flies, yet.... And haven't noticed any insects bothering it. I think it'll scab over pretty quickly after the way it looked this morning. Looks like she may not have a hole in her ear when it heals, which will be good.

She's on pen since Friday, so I'm glad she's already on it and it will help clear it up.

Now I'll be terrified when the time comes that I have to start tagging ears! But at least now I know to keep a very close watch on them afterwards for infection.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is better..... don't know about the hoof thing though.... :thumb:

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    When you star tagging ears just make sure to clean the ear where the tag is going in with alcohol and throw some Betadine on the tag.... you won't get infections that way. I use the small metal tags (I show and those big ugly plastic tags don't look good on a goat with erect ears!) but those metal tags seem to ask for infection unless you do that first. Hope that helps. :)

Hopefully your girl starts feeling much better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    If the goat is NOT registered, then by law they have to have the Scrapie tag. Now taking it out is fine but if you sell this one you HAVE to re tag them to sell them. IF you take you goat off your property at all, and the State vet see's no tag they HAVE to tag them.
    I have been tagging for 9 years. I have tagged over 130 goats, and in that time I have only had one infection.

8. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    We use AVID microchips on our pygmies and that's allowed by our Scrapie program. Does anyone else use 'em?

9. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I was told i could tag them or tattoo them.

My two registered girls have tattoos - supposedly - i have yet to see them with a casual inspection.

The Ag lady told me i could just tattoo my other one (told she was a Nigi, but she looks like she's got some pygmy in her too, either way, no papers) - why would she have to be registered if i just gave her a tattoo?

I really need to get around to this, they visited me in March I think, maybe it was April - i recall bitching about it here somewhere...................

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I haven't a clue how to do tattoo's :( We ordered 60 scrapie tags, which should last us a looooong time. No problems with the others - although our buckling doesn't have one on - so we'll put one of ours on him soon. I know the lady we bought him from if there were ever a problem, as her family has had their farm for a couple of generations, and never a problem.

Her ear is almost healed up all the way now, we have her off the penicillin, and aren't doing anything with her ear - bugs never bothered it either, thank goodness. I check it daily. The hole is closing, which is great.
    Also, she has started to act like her usual weird self again <LOL>. She's kind of 'odd' compared to the others, but the past week has been a nightmare of concern - she was sooo withdrawn. I am wondering if the heat was a factor and not so much the ear on that part.
    Last night she seemed to come out of her shell, and went over the creek into the wooded area to browse with the others. Same thing this morning, except she stood by the barn bleating like CRAZY while the others were crossing the creek. Then she rain out to join them.
    I think she's finally good to go again, and what a relief :) Hopefully 'goat drama' will calm down now LOL