The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ugh, rant time? Question at the bottom if you don't feel like reading.

I don't keep a lot of goats. I got my first pair three years ago. A lamacha doe and wether. I'm quite fond of lamanchas, but they are a bit much for my mom to handle (the goats can easily drag her around). So when I was looking for a third goat for 4H, we decided on a small breed. A Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf.
After a month or so of not finding anything, our wether died. We had to quickly get a new friend for the doe, Ruby. She had never been without her brother, and wasn't doing so well on her own. So I basically went for the first young doe I found. A ND we named Sapphire.
I can't stand the thing. She's very skittish and shy. Nothing like my lamanchas. I didn't expect her to be as bold as Ruby, but I didn't think she's be this bad. When she sees a person she will run to their hut and baa. I've spent a lot of time with her, and she'll still barely eat out of my hand. She's just so frustrating to deal with, and not at all what I was looking for. My goats are pets and she's not a very good one. She even growls at me! I didn't know a goat could growl.
So there's that.
Now onto my real problem. Her scrapies tag. I need it if I want to do anything with her in 4H. She didn't come with one, but I talked to the breeder and she sent it to me. With no pin.
Alright, so I asked her to send a pin. She said she had sent one and she was out of them. There was no pin, I ripped the thing apart trying to find it. She said to ask someone in my 4H group. There's only one other person in my group with goats and she got hers with a tattoo several years ago (she told me to go "ask the breeder" for one). So that didn't lead anywhere.
So then I tried to call the USDA and just order the darn things. No answer, but I left a message. I'll try and call back tomorrow, but will they even send just one? I don't need any more than that.
I'm so tempted to just sell the goat and get a new one that already has a tag, and is friendly.
I could always just not show her, but it seems like such a waste since I filled out the whole project book and went to all the meetings and workshops and bought the goat in the first place.
Anyway, my question is, I received a scrapies tag with no pin, is there any way to just get the pin for the tag? Anywhere I could buy one?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
You may have to buy a bag just to get one pin. What a waste, I agree. Sorry this doe is so freaky. I have never had a ND goat that was "untameable". Usually, they come around with patience and time. I would try to find a treat she will like...raisins, bananas, carrots, animal crackers are all fantastic treats that if you can get her to eat "just one" can help her come around. Take a seat in her pen and read or something, very quietly and her curiosity should get to her. Is she intimidated by the larger goat?

I was just wondering if you could tattoo this goat and just "nix" the tag? Or get a collar and cut a hole in tag and put it on her collar.

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
What does the tag look like? All of the scrapies tags I have used have two pieces, one has the female end and the other the male. One piece will have the premise ID and the individual number, the other piece will usually have a badge like symbol on it with USDA in the middle. If you sign up for a premise ID you can get a whole box of tags for free with a tagger. All tags are made a little different and you have to have the right applicator and the matching male/female pieces.

Do you know anyone who would have tags that could give you one? If you don't like the goat it may be easier to just sell her and get a different one, no sense in showing/owning an animal you don't like.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She loves the other goat, and will scream if she can't see her. There's another thing, she screams!
The tag... it could have two sides, but I only got one. I can get pictures of it later.
Sadly I only know people with pet goats, or who went to other breeders. None of them would have tags. And I'm not sure where I'd get a tattoo done.

·
I'm watching you
22,516 Posts
Today is a federal holiday. Call 1-800-USDA-TAG tomorrow. They are very nice, easy to deal with. They will take Your name, address, use and breeds of goats. Then they will send you a box with a premise ID paper, a tag applicator, and 20 custom tags. It is all free and you just put the extra tags away in case you ever need more.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called and ordered the tags today, so hopefully that will be the end of it! Now if only she were friendly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts