The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Beth and I'm just a lurker on here :wink:
My question has to do with scrapies tags. Yep, I have a box full sitting here. Since I raise nigies. No I'm not putting them in their ears! But, should I be giving each goat a number and keeping the tag with their papers? And when I sell a kid, should one of my tags be going with them and their applications? It was hard enough to figure out how to even get a premise ID. They just don't seem to give many instructions .
Thank you in advance,
Beth

~My Own Private Idaho Farm~
http://www.myownprivateidahofarm.com

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Welcome to TGS, Beth. I am sure you will find, that this is the best place on the web. Glad to have you here. :wave: As I am sure you have realized, we all love pictures, do you have any of you goatees?

I have the Scrapie tags, and I DO put them in their ears because here in COLORADO you have to have them to show, and you HAVE to have them IN THERE EAR, when you sell. If you are cought selling with out them in the ear, it is a major fine, (unless they are dairy goats, or Pygmy), Something to do with they are Miro chipped and they had it all registered, and for some reason they can not be shown in a registered class with a ear tag.
I say make sure you tag the goat before you sell it.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
Welcome to TGS!!! I tag every goat that is born and every goat that will be traveling anywhere. I also tattoo the babies born from my breedings. My tattoo matches my scrapies tag. My tattoo is registered through my registry so I tattoo and tag. I have myotonic goats and my big tags are huge to little kids so I usually wait until the kids are weaned to tag them.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
First off welcome to the goats spot. As others have said its the best place around. Everyone here is great. And great name by the way, if i do say so myself :cool:
i would check the laws in your state im still able to use tattoos for scrapie here.
beth

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
WELCOME :stars: :wave:

I guess this is something that I should look into also.... I have never worried about it here in Idaho. I have a goat with one - but it was because she started out on a sheep ranch somewhere.

Anyone else from Idaho know the laws about it here??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I received the tags initially because I knew I had to have a premise ID to go on health papers if I ever had to cross a state line or ship. I personally have never seen a Nigi anywhere with one of these huge tags in their ears. I'm pretty positve it would weigh them down if not damage them bad with the huge hole. But now I just read on a list that a goat has been diagnosed with the disease in Michigan....oh no.....I had thought it was pretty rare with goats :( So things might get worse real quick and I wanted to make sure I was at least trying to abide by the rules. Rules I was never really given...oh my....Leave it to our Government......geez.
Thanks for all the input.....
Beth

~My Own Private Idaho Farm~
http://www.myownprivateidahofarm.com

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
StaceyRoop said:
I dont tag or tatoo - sshhhh don't let the government know
LOL same here :D

As far as tags go, I think in IL you can have tattoos in place of tags(I don't do scrapie tags) or I've seen people put the tags on their collars.

Welcome to the Goat Spot! :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts