The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 year old alpine doe that seems to have scratched her eye last night. I will try to add pictures later. I have been putting veterycine eye wash on it 3 times a day and trying to keep it clean but she rubs it on everything and scratches it with her hoof. I read that you can put a triple antibiotic ointment on it to help it heal, but haven't done it yet because I wanted to get more info on that. I thought about covering it up but I know she will just take whatever I put on it off. Is there anything I can put on it to help with the itching and keep it from getting infection? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
What part of the eye is actually scratched?

I would separate her from any other goats that could do it harm. Especially any horned goats.

I wouldn't cover, just clean often. Rinse it with eye wash multiple times daily and apply terramycin ointment (antibiotic ointment) if you have any. Or colloidal silver.

If she is scratching with her hoof, try to keep the hoof clean and trimmed. Make sure the hoof isn't too sharp, and if you have wet ground right now I would put her somewhere dry so no muddy hooves come in contact with her eye.

Was it from a hay poke? Is it currently swollen, red, or just "bad looking"?

Give her garlic internally to help fight off injection, 1 clove daily raw and crushed. Vitamin C won't hurt as well. You want to do everything you can to ward off infection. Make sure she doesn't start to run a temp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it cloudy or ulcerated?

Is she around stickers?
Did you check for something in the eye and the 3rd eyelid?
It is just off to the right of the middle of the eye. It looks like just a small horizontal scratch on the cornea. It is kind of clouded looking on the scratch under a flashlight.

She likes rubbing her head on stuff so I think she scratched it rubbing her head on something. She dosent fight much with the other goats, she is the herd queen and no one challenges her much.

I am going to clean the pen out today but with all this rain mud is everywhere. I will try to keep her hoof clean but I dont know if it will do much good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would giving her penicillin help keep the infection off?

We are now using some gel eye drops from manna pro. The clouding has spread and is now covering most of the right part of the eye. It has been much cleaner lately when I go to check on her. I am just worried about the clouding.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts

We are now using some gel eye drops from manna pro. The clouding has spread and is now covering most of the right part of the eye. It has been much cleaner lately when I go to check on her. I am just worried about the clouding.
I would involve a vet. You know in drug commercials they alway state the minor side effects and then say "if condition persists or worsens, contact a doctor"... It's kind of like that. Now that the situation has worsened to further clouding of the eye, you need to get a professional opinion of a veterinary practitioner.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

The spreading cloudiness is something to be concerned about. Yes and no about using penicillin for a treatment. Yes, the eye more than likely needs an antibiotic, just not solely an injectable form. There are antibiotic eye ointments available through a vet and a longer acting injectable antibiotic that may be used.

I recently rescued an animal with an eye injury that started out as cloudiness and during her wait for a surgery to remove the eye, the cloudiness spread, then turned more white and she became totally blind in that eye. Granted, there was a puncture in the eyeball itself and blindness was a given outcome. Her eye was extremely painful and irritated and having the surgery was a relief. I don't know how long the eye had been injured prior to finding her, only it was horribly infected and weeping greenish discharge. The dual antibiotic treatments held the infection at bay until surgical removal of the eye could be performed.

I am by no means suggesting the goat's eye needs to be removed, though I will say the goat needs prescription strength antibiotic treatment and the only way I know of to obtain them is through a vet visit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone ever made an eye patch for a goat? The vet said the eye drops would work better if she wouldn't rub it on everything so we need to try and make an eye patch. I thought about maybe trying to get a small fly mask thing they make for horses. I am open to any suggestions!!! Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts