The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this summer my gelding started to scratch his mane out. It started with just a little bit gone but now he has a whole section where it just has one tiny strip of hair and thats it. Before it was long and even, but it just looks really bad now. I dont think its bugs, I can't see anything on him and during the summer i tried bathing him with flea shampoo then mane and tail every other week just incase that was the problem. And it didn't work. Now its too cold to bathe him but if i need to i can wash his mane and still try to keep him dry and warm. Maybe moisturizer of some kind?

I've seen him scratch on 4x4 post in the barn in the spot where the hair is gone. Its in the middle of his neck, and its only in a 8 inch spot that he does it in. Could it be dry skin or a habit or him being bored? How do i make him stop? He doesn't have any sores or anything there that he could be picking at. The only thing that kinda helps is if i braid it then he doesn't seem to mess with it. But as soon as i take it out or it falls out then hes at it again. Or maybe the braids just help the hair not fall out when he scratches? Has this ever happened to any of yall? Any tips?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Allergies maybe?

My tb rubbed some of his tail and mane out this summer. The vet made a special spray for allergies and that stopped it. We guessed it was an allergy.

I've heard listerine can help with itching too..

·
Registered
768 Posts
Use MTG. You can get it online or at most all feed stores. Just a warning, it smells kinda funny, so i suggest using gloves.. Just pour some on his mane and rub it in. I would treat all of his mane, not just the affected area. We used it on a horse that had rain rot on her whole body, it cured it and hair grew back in a couple weeks. Its amazing. great for any skin, mane or tail issues. Some people claim it grows mane and tails up to 4 inches a month.

I used it and both my mares' tails' drag the ground now.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Our dog started pulling his hair out a few months ago and we figured out it was an allergy to his food. We bought him organic food and he stopped, and his hair grew back. You never know what garbage goes into food these days...it's appalling. Anyway, you may want to check to see if his food has any genetically modified ingredients, preservatives, dyes or other toxins in it. Although you'll want to relieve his itching, please don't just treat that symptom, but dig deeper to find out the root cause of it so you can eliminate the cause.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was really quick answers haha. :) Ill look for the MTG at TSC or ill just find it on amazon or something, it sounds like it will work. I don't think its lice or mites, i didn't mention it in my first post but I tried some of the sevin dust stuff on it too this summer, and it didn't really change anything. I never thought about it being allergies, I don't think thats his problem but if the other stuff doesn't work ill look into that.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our dog started pulling his hair out a few months ago and we figured out it was an allergy to his food. We bought him organic food and he stopped, and his hair grew back. You never know what garbage goes into food these days...it's appalling. Anyway, you may want to check to see if his food has any genetically modified ingredients, preservatives, dyes or other toxins in it. Although you'll want to relieve his itching, please don't just treat that symptom, but dig deeper to find out the root cause of it so you can eliminate the cause.
Didn't see this before I commented. His feed has been the same since we got him, I love the stuff and they can't get enough of it. :) The only thing I've changed about his feed is the beginning of this year we were going to replant the field with a different type of grass and it just never came up really well, so instead of getting all grass and feed now he's getting all hay and feed and a little grass. :)

That's awesome that you figured out what was wrong so easily, and knew what to change. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a horse who is allergic to summer yea it sounds kind of weird but true her mane drys out and tail. She would rub all of it off. So we asked a friend and she said if you mix vinegar and dawn soap together and put that in there main and tail they stop itching. We tried it and it worked really well just as good as the MTG. If you want I can get you the proportions so you can try it. :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
My horse used to rub his tail like that. I believe it was bots, and his tail needed a good brushing. Probably wouldn't hurt to dust him with something like Sulfur, which kills lice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.