Scratching

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by paulaclk, Sep 23, 2009.

1. paulaclk

paulaclk Member

Sep 1, 2009
    I have noticed that one of my goats is constantly scratching and has some dry flaky skin around her horns. What can I do about this? Is there anything I can out on her coat to help???

Thanks!

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is it just around her horn base or an all over flakiness?

I have one doe who will continually rub her horns on the barn...or anything else that doesn;t move. I usually just rub a bit of bag balm around the base of her horns if her body skin looks good.

For all over flakiness, A very thorough brushing to loosen them helps alot, as does a bit of flax seed oil in the grain ration.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if its just dry skin, a little bit of flax seed oil in her diet will help. If its a bacteria infection listerine will help.
    beth

4. paulaclk

paulaclk Member

Sep 1, 2009
    How much flax seed oil would I use???

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    For 2 cups of grain I was adding approximately 1 tablespoonful.....and mixed it very well as she was sometimes picky about it :wink:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i ground it up in coffee grinder, because it was easier for them to digest that way. They got about a tablespoon per feeding per goat.
    beth

7. paulaclk

paulaclk Member

Sep 1, 2009
    You grind it up???? Is it not an liquid oil???

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I believe Beth is talking about the flax seed itself....I use the flax seed oil from Walmarts vitamin section...easier to handle a 12 oz bottle as opposed to a gallon jug from the feed store :wink:

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yes i buy it by the fifty lb bag at the feed store. I then grind it up. But we have fourteen animals + kids. Smaller herds its easier to use the liquid.
    beth

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    another option is to use Aloe Vera Juice. I got the berry flavored kind from Walmart and the goats love it. I syringe it to the ones who need it most - 6cc for my mini - for a couple days an then I add it to their water (about 1/4cup in 2 gallons, which is what they drink in a day in the summer time - approx 5 goats)