The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 week old doeling who has been screaming on and off for about an hour. It’s not like the normal cries her and her siblings make, it sounds more like she’s in distress. She’s with her mom and siblings and nothing in her routine has changed at all. I just watched her go to the bathroom so she isn’t constipated, and I can’t see anything physically wrong. It is hot out but she’s got a fan in her stall and has access to water, and it has been hot like this for a few weeks now. Is there something else I should check for? I can call the vet but I don’t know if they will do anything based on the fact that she is just screaming.
I could just be crazy because this is my first time with kids but this just isn’t normal for her to cry like this

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Get a rectal temperature with a digital thermometer right away and give an subq injection of B-Complex at the same time. Also check FAMACHA score.

You're correct, sounds like something is wrong.

Does the goat kid have access to a creep feeder (free choice grain)? If yes, enterotoxemia would be a concern.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called the vet because she just wouldn’t stop screaming. She said to give her some pepto and keep her hydrated and if there is no change in 45 minutes to call her. I gave it to her 30 minutes ago and she hasn’t been screaming but seems very dazed. Her temp is 104.7, it is pretty hot but it is high so I will be relaying that to my vet when I call her back.
She doesn’t have free choice grain and doesn’t seem interested in eating. Looked like she wanted to nurse from mom but walked away.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
That is not a normal temp. She could have an infection.

Why a vet would prescribe pepto when the goat is not suffering GI distress I do not know

Start on B Complex ASAP.

Can we get photos of her?

Any pain upon palpating her whole body?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just called the vet back and am waiting for a response. Someone is running to the store for me now to get b complex. I have injectable banamine that I had for my pony that we just gave orally because he was so tiny at the time. I have only ever given subq injections so I don’t know how to administer it except for orally. Would I be able to give it to her orally, if so how much?

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Banamine is Sub q. 1/4 cc per 25 pounds

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Good job by the way!! Being alert to your babies needs.
With her crying out alot I would be concerned about her tummy hurting. Is she bloated? Does iher tummy feel hard..pesto may have been suggested to sooth her tummy but would not be my choice without scours.

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
do you have cd antitoxin on hand?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the vitamin b into her. Also gave her some electrolytes in her water as recommended by the vet. Just took her temp again and it is starting to go down, it’s at 104.2 now. She isn’t reactive anywhere when I palpate. She hasn’t screamed for a while now and is up nibbling on her moms hay a little but still seems pretty drained. I’ll retake temp in a little while and see where she’s at. FAMACHA looks good, not pale at all.
sorry for the slightly all over the place responses, I’ve been on and off the phone with the vet.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Awe..shes a real.cutie...keep up the good work.

Best wishes

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
@tgmrc hows your baby?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Her temp went down to 103.8 last night when I checked on her. She seems much more alert today and is playing a little bit, although I wouldn’t say she’s totally back to herself (she’s the most outgoing one of the bunch). I’ll retake her temp in a little while to see where she’s at and will keep a really close eye on her throughout the day. I definitely think she feels better than she did yesterday. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice, it’s so scary having a sick baby!

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
Good news! Yes sick goats = zero sleep for me around here. Glad she is feeling better

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She’s doing much better! She’s out browsing with the rest of the herd right now. She’s not too pleased with me after all the poking and prodding but I’m sure we’ll be friends again soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts