screaming and not eating any graze?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by ilovegoats, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ilovegoats

ilovegoats New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I have a 3 month old weather and his sister that i got a few weeks ago. I love playing with them but when i leave, all they do is scream and then lay down after like 10 minutes of screaming. Is this normal? They haven't been eating any graze, all they do is just lay down. they will only eat it when i am in the pen with them or sitting 5 feet away. They have both lost a bit of weight, and i have been feeding them the right amount of food... what do i do? :think:

2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    They want you to stay, which isn't gonna happen. Just walk away and ignore them, they'll learn that crying won't make you come. As they settle down and mature I'm sure the crying will stop.

Do they get hay and grain? Vit b and probios will help increase their appetite...

3. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Although Canyontrail has the makings of being a very good goat rancher, I have to disagree with his/her advice in this situation. Yes, it is absolutely normal. Goats are prey animals, and they really, really don't like change! It can take a goat a year to fully settle into a new home. They are in new surroundings with new people that they don't know and they are scared and feeling very vulnerable. They can't go running back to Mom for reassurance, so you are their security blanket until they become comfortable in their new surroundings. If they were mine, I would be leading them out to graze and spending time with them while they are doing that. They will get it figured out, they just need some reassurance that they are safe, and your presence provides that.

4. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    ^^ I never thought of that, good point

5. ilovegoats

ilovegoats New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I give them alfalfa hay, goat feed pellets and a mineral block. I noticed the past two days they haven't been eating ANY of their grain and most of their hay gets thrown everywhere all over their pen

6. ilovegoats

ilovegoats New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    to add to that, they have been thinning down so i have been giving them each half a cup of black oil sunflower seeds:lovey: