The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old doe who is making my farm life unbearable. She kidded three months ago, her boy went home one month ago. She cut her teat jumping a fence which caused an infection which we have treated twice with different antibiotics. She is nubian/lamancha. Her mom is on-site. Since her kid left she will not stop screaming. I live in an urban farming area so this has been a huge hardship. At first I thought it was the infection, but now that the infection has cleared up she continues to scream. She is in milk and does not want to be milked, fights it constantly. She is especially bad in the morning and evening. I have tried herbs, homeopathy, flower essences and most things natural. She was on antibiotics for her infection, now off. Her weight is good, and I try feeding her by herself to limit bullying by other goats. She is better when I am with her, screams when I try to leave her. I even tried getting her kid back but he was already sold to another owner (after I sold him to someone else). She is a very sweet girl and a huge gallon a day milker. I don't even know how I could sell her to someone else being that she screams so much. Any ideas? She is on chauffeye and grass hay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I think about this after writing it, I am wondering if she isn't being bullied and pushed around alot by the other goats. I may try penning her up separate with another "underdog" and see if that helps. perhaps that is why she is comforted by my presence?

·
Registered
30,565 Posts
poor mama sounds so stressed....lavender eo may help...but I agree she may need a change of scenery. But if selling her is not an option...maybe get her a young doe to bond with? to sort of mother??

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
She needs a buddy. It does sound like she is being bullied and terrified. It could be happening more when feeding.
Do you have a docile doe who might not beat her down? If so, pen them together for a while so they can bond or get a wether. When it is time for her to go back with the herd, take the other goats and pen them where she was and switch the goats. Separate for 1 week, then introduce 1 goat at a time each week, until that goat and the one yelling have resolved their pecking order. Then do the next doe and so on. By doing this, all pecking orders change and the yelling doe shouldn't be picked on anymore or challenge anyone if she is shy. You are moving the goats into new surroundings and then introduce back into familiar territory.

Giving her probitics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ would be good to give, along with a fecal test for worms and cocci.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have one of my does that was so upset when I sold her baby. She didn't continue screaming but her actions were of an animal so stressed. I would guess that is part of what is wrong with your girl. Give her time. Took my girl a good month to settle down -made me feel awful for her. Next year I will leave her babies with her longer.
Penning her with a quite girl may help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts