scur removal

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by LuvmyGoaties, Jan 9, 2011.

1. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    My 1.5 year old wether, Jessie, has a scur that is about 1.5 inches long, it is curling tightly back towards his head. I can still get my finger between it and his head but I am afraid that if it continues growing it could grow into his head. I thought about banding it as other have suggested but because ot the way it is growing I'm not sure I can get bands it positioned correctly. Can I use a cable saw to cut it off? Do scurs have a blood supply? Any help would be appreciated?

Jen

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Scurs do have a blood supply, my mom has a Togg wether "Eddie" that has the same problem, we were going to try the band but he broke it off before we had chance to. If it is moveable at all, you may be able to wiggle it daily enough to free it up to have it come off or even enough to be able to twist it. Have some blood stop powder handy, thankfully, Eddie's didn't bleed much.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have heard of people sniping them or even sawing a bit of the tip off. The blood supply will be closer to the base but yes it can still bleed since its part of his body

do you have a picture?

4. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I can try to get pictures tomorrow.

Jen

5. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Is it loose? If it wiggles, it is not attached to the skull and you should be able to twist it off with pliers. I did this with a small (1/2") scur on my doe and it hardly bled. Jessie's scur is bigger, so blood stop powder would probably be good to have on hand.