The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buck, Champ, has scurs that grow straight back to his skull. I used to be able to use hoof trimmers but they are too thick for that now. I tried branch trimmers (loppers) but can’t get them around the scur because of how tight they are to his head. I ordered and tried a wire saw. He was fine, frustrated and such but fine, until I got a little way in then he really screamed. I stopped sawing to see if it was the restraints or the sawing bothering him. He calmed right down, but as soon as I started sawing again, he screamed and fought, even cracked the head hold on the stand. He is normally very docile and you can do about anything to this tolerant goat.

Do you think I was hitting the core of his scur, hitting nerves or something? I can’t get any closer to the tip of the scur without the wire slipping off. Hopefully you can see that notch in the close up. That’s where I was cutting. I had to stop because I really felt like I was hurting him.

His scurs grow out fast. I really need advice on how to handle them (hopefully without torturing him, which is what it felt like I was doing this time). He’s the sweetest guy. But I can’t let the horn grow into his head and I’m having a difficult time trying to find a method to trim them.
Goat Comb Fawn Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope

Whiskers Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Felidae

Head Plant Eye Cat Grass

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well shoot. I’m glad I wasn’t actually hurting him. I think I was going too fast or using too much pressure with the wire saw because it actually got stuck in his scur and I had to cut the wire out. It was a disaster. The last three times I’ve “trimmed” his scurs with hoof timers or nippers, the whole thing popped off and it was a blood bath. But he screamed less for that. And now I’ve trained him (accidentally) to scream really loud and I’ll stop. Oh boy. I hope my big girl panties are up for this task. I really don’t have a choice.

I’m going to have to get better at the wire saw. His scurs grow fast, so between the two scurs this will be a no-fun biweekly task.

Do you all think I could get castration bands to the base of his scur to try that method? Would it be better for him? Or is banding a scur painful like banding a horn?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do need to practice with the saw. I just don’t have the hang of it. After another failed saw attempt, we tried one more time with the loppers. Luckily, I had help. My husband finished a job early and is home for a few days before he leaves to the next. With tying Champ up very snug to a tree and having me immobilize his body and head, it let my husband get a good enough purchase to snap most the scur off with the looper, though the bottom portion toward the skull did tear a little and left a rough edge. Still much better than it was.

I need to get horse hoof nippers. Those would probably work best. Though I might try the bands one day. It’d be great if we didn’t need to do it so often. His have to be trimmed about every three weeks and the two are always ready at different times.

I did try the dremel sander a while ago but hit his head with it and nicked his skin pretty good. But at least today was a success and I can relax for a few weeks.
Gesture Finger Fawn Working animal Thumb

Mammal Fawn Whiskers Small to medium-sized cats Felidae

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent job. (y) I like the picture of that pink tongue giving a lick .... or wanting to get a taste of the object being held.
He always thinks I have a treat for him. He’ll eat anything. I can take anything out in a drenching syringe and he’ll suck it down and taste it later. Lol. He really is the sweetest boy.

This is one reason why I don't get disbudding/dehorning
It is a real pain with bucks. My does, if they even get scurs, have thin ones that I can pull off by hand without them noticing. But they are registered dairy goats, so disbudding is needed if they’re going to be shown. Breeders have no idea what the buyer will do, so they disbud early. And I do have fences horns could get stuck in around here, so there’s that as well.

Mom, give me that back! It’s mine . My vet used a pony nipper on my boys when she touched up the disbudding on Friday. Seemed to work really well. Could you get the disbudding touched up? Is that an option?
I was just talking about getting pony nippers to use. How funny. He’s over a year old, so there’s not touching up now. He’s just a scur growing buck.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As long as the scurs aren’t causing problems, usually they are fine to just ignore. And I’m glad my learning helped someone else learn too.

So after all this, Champ ripped off the scur. He’s never done that. I’ve ripped it off trying to cut it, but he’s never ripped it. I don’t know how. It doubt it was head butting because I think the other scur would have some damage, and the other buck’s scur, not as solid, would likely be off too. We think he was rubbing his head and hooked it. He has this annoyingly thick core on his scurs, so when he rips them off, it degloves and leaves this raw, tender core. His face is a bloody mess and his head is shiny silver because I sprayed it with Alushield but he wouldn’t hold still and did some impressive acrobatics trying to get away from the scary spray, so I ended up spraying the entire top of his head before I finally got what I was trying to get all along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts