Scurs already!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mistyblue, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We were late on burning the horns on our little buckling, now 2 weeks later we notice that he already has scurs growing.

My question is, can I reburn these and take care of it or will he always have scurs now?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would reburn but do it good and long this time

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I hate reburning... I give myself one chance... if it doesn't go the first time I either deal with the scurs or I band them. Too hard to get their trust back if you burn them 2x and all of my goaties are lap goats. :)

4. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Stacey - how long is a long time. If I remember correctly we did them for a count of 13 seconds and then a count of 10.

The scurs are growing right on the outside edge of the burn circle.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah -- sounds like you need to roll/rotate the burn tool a little more so it gets the outside edges. The count is good but you might want to apply more pressure as you rotate around (roll your wrist) or you will need a larger iron

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks Stacey, we will be reburning them on Friday. Also do we need to first snip the little scurs that have come up or just burn them?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends on how big they are and if you can get down far enough to the bud part or not.

8. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    I disbud our Boers at 4 days old. Doelings and bucklings. With only very slight pressure I rotate the iron on one bud for a count of 6 to 8. Then I give the kid a minute or two to calm down and let the heat dissipate. Then repeat on the other side. After a minute or two I go back to the first side and hit any spots that are not the copper color I'm looking for. Again, never leaving the iron on for more than 6 or 8 seconds. Then I use the edge of the iron and burn the nub in the middle. But different irons operate at different temperatures so burn times will vary. Follow the manufacturers recommendation. I use the x-30 with the 3/4 inch tip.
    This is no doubt the part of our operation I hate the most. But because of a number of reasons we made the decision to disbud our goats. Guessing at the amount of pain a kid endures during this procedure I have made the personal decision to never re-burn.
    What has helped me to be able to do this efficiantly, having 2 kids out of over 40 disbudded grow scurs, is to remind myself that I am not in a race. I remain calm and am in no hurry. I make sure it's done right the first time.
    The 2 that grew scurs were in the first group of kids we had and I was a bit nervous and just wanted to get it over with.
    Remember, take your time. Give the kids brain time to cool down between burns. And make sure you've done a good job before taking him/her back to their mom.

9. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Well we were not able to reburn Moon's horns today so we will do it first thing tomorrow. I really hate to burn them again but they do not want even scurs if possible. We will take our time and really try to get a good copper ring this time.

As we normally do not burn horns ourselves we have a friend do it for us, and they have never had to reburn horns, so we really appreciate the advice on how to do this.

I will post pictures after we reburn them. Hopefully this will get them this time.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok Ashley was just sharing these with me and we were discussing disbudding techniques.

So here are pictures.

one bud before you take the cap off
    [​IMG]

cap off
    [​IMG]

both done -- notice the white near the ring?
    [​IMG]

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Those are some good photo's! I will print these out and take them with me, right now it is raining out and I don't know if we should reburn while it is raining out or if it will even matter.