scurs on 9-week-old kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goats-n-more, Mar 27, 2008.

1. goats-n-more

goats-n-more New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    We bought a Nigerian Dwarf mom and her three kids (buckings--soon to be wethers!) a month ago. The boys had been disbudded when they were six days old. They are now 9 weeks old and, ugh, I think they all have at least one scur. They're maybe a centimeter long (half an inch) at most, but most definitely something is growing. :(

My question is, what can we do about this now? As a newbie goat owner, I'm not real sure what the best course of action is at this point. I thought I'd call the vet tomorrow, but I would appreciate getting responses from anyone here who's had similar experiences. Thanks!

Mary

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Are the scurs finger nail like(meaning they are very thin)? Or are they like real horns? Most likely they were copper-ring burned when disbudded. We learned our lesson doing it that way, so from now on we are taking it to the scull....it's what our vet always did anyways.

I'd try the vet....or maybe a person that has goats and knows how to disbud.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My vet said you can "hit them again" if they start growing again...but I'd call your vet to be sure. My NDG buck was growing scurs and when I asked her about it during a visit she just reached down and broke them off. They came back a little and he broke them off himself "jousting" with any other buck. I suppose they'll keep coming back... :hair: oh well.

4. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I would suggest having your vet show you what to do.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    vets don't always know how to take care of burning horns so that might not be your best option.

Depending on the size and diameter of the scurs you can quite possibly hit the horns again with the disbudding iron and that will get rid of them.

6. goats-n-more

goats-n-more New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, that's kinda why I thought I'd ask here. I haven't been overly impressed so far with the vets I've dealt with concerning the goats (but then again I don't know all that much either!).

Thank you everyone, for your input. I'll see what I can do about these little horns.

Mary

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how about asking the person you purchased them from if they can come and redue the horns if they aren't to big yet.

Another option is to band the horns or have then surgically removed. Either option should be done when the flies aren't bad and does involve some blood and after care. The younger the goat the better they fair through it all.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    I would never recommend banding after buying one that had bands on, it was horrible!

No, not all vets have the dis-budding thing figured out. I have found one that does.
    Another option would be to find breeders that can show you. You can tell their work is good or not by looking at their animals.
    Hope it goes well. scurs are a pain.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If they are actual horn like scurs growing back, then you'll have to have them removed, but if they are those thin fingernail thingys you can just leave them. Since they will be wethers, they won't have the hormones that bucks do, so the scurs really won't grow to be that bad.

10. goats-n-more

goats-n-more New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well, they seem more like horns than fingernails to me, so I really should do something. Unfortunately the place I bought them is a few hours from here, so I don't think I will be going back there.

I'll start with the vet and go from there. Thanks again everyone!

Mary

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup best to get them removed now then waiting till they are older.