Scurs or horns??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by sharbear, May 18, 2014.

1. sharbear

sharbear New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Our 2 bucklings were born April 2nd and we burned their horn buds at about 5 days old. At the time they were less than an inch high. The caps never came off on their own and since then there has been a little bit of growth on them. We are not sure if this growth is horns growing because the burning did not take or just scurs?? They have not gotten much bigger or wider since they healed from being burned but would like some advice. They are slightly too big to fit in the iron tip we have but if we need to reburn it seems like now would be the time to know for sure. Any help is appreciated.

By the way this was our first year burning :/

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How long did you burn? Did you have a copper ring? That looks like horns. If the disbudder fits over the horns, I would disbud again. Make sure you get a good copper ring.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    The disbudding was unsuccessful. Those look like full horns coming in. You have to burn long enough to see a copper or white ring and the cap HAS to be popped off or it will just sit there and heal itself and the horns will continue growing.

Go to the bottom of this website page: http://nigeriandwarfcolors.weebly.com/polledhorned-genetics.html It shows the steps to a proper disbudding.

4. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Yep, those are full horns. Dis budding failed.

5. sharbear

sharbear New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    We burned each one several times 4-5 seconds every time. We did see a copper ring but I did not pop off the caps. I had seen some people who did and others who did not and no one really said why you would do it so I didn't think it mattered either way. Unfortunately they are barely too wide for the iron tip :( I suppose we could buy a bigger tip or band??

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You could do either.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You really need to hold the iron on for 15 or so seconds. At this point, if the iron doesn't fit over the buds, then you will get scurs and in my opinion, scurs are worse than horns. I would wait about 5-6 months and then band the horns.

8. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    2 quick counts of 10 and a final 5-10 count is all we do :)