The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My now 10 week old dwarf buck is starting to grow scurs. He is strictly a pet and I don't want to put him through disbudding again especially since it might not work the second time. I amplanning on managing them while they are still very short by just hitting them with a dremel tool every couple of weeks.

I would appreciate any input since I am a beginner.;)

·
Super Moderator
58,241 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. But wethering him and reburning will probably stop the scurs. It really depends on what you mind doing and don't mind doing. Most of us don't want to be bothered with trimming scurs so we reburn.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we just had our new buckling redone yesterday. we plan on showing him so really wanted them cleaned up. scurs on bucklings is very common.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
we have a few here with scurs..our Thunder, Lamancha buck has big scurs while Amos our Saanen has real loose scurs...they keep each other trimmed lol..but snipping them off and filing them works too..if you start young he will get used to having it done..

·
558 Posts
So once they have a scur it come back for life?
My Primrose is 3 months old and has a scur. Kinda pointy. I asked the breeder and she said to snip it off.
I guess I thought once that was done it wouldn't come back...that's what I get for assuming.
It is already about 1/2-3/4 inch tall. Is it too late to reburn?
Do they normally get long like a full horn or stay relatively short??

Hope these questions help the original poster too LOL...sorry for hijacking your thread!

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
scurs will continue to re grow...some times you can reburn successfully,..but I leave them alone...Scurs are weaker and break off ..those who are stronger we keep snipped downif they are turning toward the head or face..other wise they play hard and usually break them down them selves..scurs are a pain..but its just something we deal with lol

·
Banned
43 Posts
Nothing wrong with that. But wethering him and reburning will probably stop the scurs. It really depends on what you mind doing and don't mind doing. Most of us don't want to be bothered with trimming scurs so we reburn.
I agree. You may not want to "put him through it again", but I'll bet that if he could reason, he'd prefer the extra minute of pain rather than a lifetime of wrestling with him to file or clip every so often, or just having it break off again and again. For you, there's no more worry about having to do it, fly strike, or just explaining to people why your goat is a bloody mess every so often.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
As long as the iron can fit over them, you can disbud again.
Ok, so I HAVE redone SCURS before, but I have a buck from a friend, the buck is 9 weeks old now, and his disbudding did not take AT ALL, it came back as full blown horns, and have a really sold base and they are about 3 inches tall now..... surgical dehorning is my only option right? Because, I do have a calf disbudder but.... that would be a LOT of burning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts