The Goat Spot Forum banner

Scurs

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
My 10 week old lamancha is developing scurs. Is it safe to file them? They're about 1/2 inch right now.

#2 ·
For what it's worth, I usually just clip them off with a pair of side cutters. I clip them down to just over the scalp. Have never had a problem doing it this way. Others may do things differently of course.

#5 · (Edited)
We had to disbud our 10 week-old buckling in July when one horn began to grow in again, weeks after disbudding him with a propane-heated disbudding iron. With the advice of a seasoned goat/sheep owner, we cut the one inch horn regrowth off with sharp nippers, quickly stopped the bleeding with blood stop powder, and then used wound spray. Next, we burned a ring around the cut with our new Reinhold electric tool and a buck tip, rolling it around in a circle leaving a black rim. Smokey had a little bit of a crying spell, but with ice, wound spray, and a nursing from his momma, he was fine right away.
Even though it was scary because of the blood, I am glad that we did this... a goat with one horn is dangerous (and looks strange!). The remainder of the old horn just fell off at the end of August.

#6 ·
as long as they dont turn intot he head or face I leave them alone...they dont look great but usually harmless and when they play with other bucks they usually knock them off them selves..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.