The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my vent hood on but sheesh this place is smoky and stanky. I bought an awesome grill as a birthday present to myself and it came with cast iron grill grates than you have to melt a protective coating of wax off of first then oil and season next. Anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should repeat this process? I get conflicting advice on the internet, some things say seasoning once is plenty some say to repeat this step like 3-4 times.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my birthday was in july LOL I am just now getting around to seasoning the grill grates, because it was so hot I didn't want to heat up my house with the oven til now. LOL

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
According to what I've read and what my mother did with her cast iron skillets, once is enough unless you wash them in hot, soapy water which takes the seasoning off. I don't like cast iron skillets or pans because of the not being able to wash them. I think it's just me, but I have a major problem cooking in anything that I cannot wash in hot, soapy water. :eek: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks that has kind of been my experience too. I was hoping once was enough because it is still 99 during the day here, turning on the oven isn't desirable. Looks like I am cooking on the grill tonight!!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I hear you! It's been hotter than blazes the last few weeks. Finally cooled off today.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just cooked massive quantities or pork chops covered in dry rub on that grill. Boy is that thing a monster, I could barely cook over it because it gets so hot it was trying to cook me. It has a temperature gauge on the cover and it was up to 500 at some points with the lid down. My chops were done in like 10 minutes. I wish I had a whole pig or goat, or lamb to throw on there afterwards because it is still hot. It is such a big grill I used two bags or charcoal in it. I am happy with it, finally a real grill, now I just gotta get me some long tongs and forks so it doesn't cook me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts