The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unsure if I should try and breed my favorite doe again. She is three and was bred last year, but did not have any kids. I thought it was the fireworks the neighbors set off right next to my barn, but I am not sure. All my goats had good minerals, hay, and shelter. It is bothering me because out of the four does, with the same sire as her, that have been bred only one has kidded. The half sister that I had was given two chances and never kidded.
I would really like to have a kid out of the favorite doe, but as I don’t have a buck I am wondering if it is worth the time and money to try again.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Lots of questions here. What are you feeding? What minerals are you feeding? How are her selenium levels? Are you sure she was in standing heat, or maybe just in heat? How many days was she in with the buck? Was she confirmed pregnant by bloodtest or ultrasound? Was the buck proven? Does she cycle regularly?
Many things can point to a reason a healthy doe many not get pregnant or slip her kids. Knowing above information will help pinpoint things for you.
If she is healthy, has good mineral and selenium levels, and cycles regularly there is no reason not to breed her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of questions here. What are you feeding? What minerals are you feeding? How are her selenium levels? Are you sure she was in standing heat, or maybe just in heat? How many days was she in with the buck? Was she confirmed pregnant by bloodtest or ultrasound? Was the buck proven? Does she cycle regularly?
Many things can point to a reason a healthy doe many not get pregnant or slip her kids. Knowing above information will help pinpoint things for you.
If she is healthy, has good mineral and selenium levels, and cycles regularly there is no reason not to breed her.
I am feeding orchard grass hay, sweetlix minerals, both free choice. She was given selenium as I am in a low selenium area. She was in with the buck for six weeks so she should have been in standing heat at some point during that time. She wasn’t confirmed pregnant by ultrasound or blood test. The buck is proven. She seems to cycle regularly, but is harder to tell with her than some of my other does.
I would definitely give her a second chance, but I a little hesitant as it seems odd that 1/4 of her and her half sisters kidded.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,612 Posts
I feel it's definitely worth a another try! Maybe she'll take since she has better minerals this time! Never know until you try! Good luck!😘

·
Registered
884 Posts
i would give it another go...
so far out of all the does i have had, i only had two that i had issues with. the first doe was the second doe i ever bought. she stayed with the buck(two different bucks) for on and off for two years and nothing. i had to sell her as a pet:( her siblings had no issues.

the other doe she never had any issue until i bought her. the last kid was a yearling at the time. she was given lute(got in the buck pen with her son) before bringing her home and who knows if that had anything to do with it or not. i did manage to get kids out of her 1x. i dont know if it was luck, or the antibiotic flushes. but she is the peace maker in the herd and she is good with kids so she is staying.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Have all of the does been bred to that same buck? Sometimes there's just a random genetic incompatibility. I'd try a different proven buck to rule that out.

If her heats are irregular ovarian cysts are possible. Being under OR overweight can cause it too. I bought a very nice registered doe once for a song because the breeder couldn't get her to settle and even the vet said not to bother trying. She was as big as a cow. I put her on straight grass hay; she settled on her first cycle and had a healthy kid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have all of the does been bred to that same buck? Sometimes there's just a random genetic incompatibility. I'd try a different proven buck to rule that out.

If her heats are irregular ovarian cysts are possible. Being under OR overweight can cause it too. I bought a very nice registered doe once for a song because the breeder couldn't get her to settle and even the vet said not to bother trying. She was as big as a cow. I put her on straight grass hay; she settled on her first cycle and had a healthy kid.
Two of the does were to the same buck. I had her bred to the buck that her litter mate sister had two sets of kids with, this year. So hopefully that means there won’t be any genetic incompatibility this time. Hopefully she (her name is Pop Tart) will have kids in late March!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts