Second floor on barn for goats?

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by Idahodreamer, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I thinking of adding a half loft (with railing and ramp) to my barn plans, but am curious if anyone else here on goatspot has done anything like this.
    If so, what were the drawbacks?
    What did you use to cover the wooden flooring?
    Did you have a draining system up there (somehow :idea: )
    Did you find it to be a good idea, or would you not consider doing it again?
    How about you guys who DON'T have one of these for your goats---- would you consider doing it?

thanks for your oppinions,
    :laugh:

2. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm planning to... after kidding stall, chicken house and 5 million other projects :)
    However, imaginationacres just posted pics the other day that I thought were cool. Look:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17946

3. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

That is so neat!!! Thanks for posting the link to that--- I am adding that topic to my favs. :)
    Yeah I know what you mean about those 5 million 'other' projects.... that's how my life is too.

4. imaginationacres

imaginationacres New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Hi there Talitha

Yup I have installed "bunk beds" into my barn and my goats love them! Thanks for linking my post SandStoneStableFarm. They all will jump up without ramps to the higher levels and sleep on the top bunk. I use a broom to sweep any waste off. They don't make too horrible of a mess and I figure I'll just replace the wood planks as needed in the future if they get too soiled.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is so cool..... :thumb: :greengrin: